Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Shaft Seals

Throttle shaft seal source

I’ve searched the threads and read what I can find. The 81SH’s throttle shaft seals are in the process of giving up as evidenced by the dirt and crud collecting around them. Not a huge issue yet but I want to get a jump on it. Question is source for the seals. Seems some folks have had trouble with the Motorcyclecarbs.com place and some have stated the Yamaha OEM (256-14997-00-00) parts are hit and miss. Bike bandit (1787-001) seals haven’t had any bad reviews that I could find. So who has used what and with what degree of success. Another thing is the fuel inlet tee (3H3-14988-00-00). I have found some but at $23. each but I was hoping someone had a better way. Also do I have to replace the throttle plate screws i.e. drill them out? If so is there a good source for them. I couldn’t even find a part number for the screws. Thanks for the help

Dave
    wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

the shaft seals from MikesXS, Part #48-5021 are a perfect fit and priced cheaper than *most* all other sources at $5.00/ea.

since the factory screws are peened over, and their integrity was compromised on removal, I replaced all of them during my last carb rebuild. other than being slightly longer, I used original Mikuni Super BN Throttle Plate Screws from Parker Yamaha. also ordered the Yamabond (to *paint* the diaphrams) from them as well.

Comment

Brian by compromised do you mean you had to cut or grind on them to get the out or just found metal missing on removel from the peen over. Thanks for the link.
      Last edited by wingnut; 06-19-2007, 05:56 AM.
      wingnut
      81 SH (Daily Ride)
      81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
      81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
      82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
      81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

compromised screws

*most* of the screw heads were damaged on removal as a)the screwdriver was a sloppy fit (I purchased a new screwdriver later) and b) I did not bother to cut/file/grind off the peened over section of screw before removal - thus 2 of the screws had to be drilled out.

Comment

I found it worth it to grind away the peened side ...
          screws would not come out easy otherwise ....

used thread lock(locktite) to make sure the screws would not ever loosen while running

bob
          1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
          1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

Working...
          X