XJ brake problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ brake problems

I have been battling brake problems on my maxim. The brakes were dragging and the problem was definately the master cylinder. I have removed the master cylinder and cleaned out the spooge hole as well as I could but it did not fix the problem. The XJ master cylinder is different than the XS m/s. The spooge hole seems to go in, turn and travels a few inches inside the cast body of the m/s. From the looks of the waxy gunk I was getting out of the hole, I think the entire thing may be clogged. Any ideas?
    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

This is the foot m/c that I am having a problem with.
    Harry

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

MC is off the bike?
      Can try putting in some brake fluid and pump it thru by hand until it comes out clean. Rinse out reservoir with clean brake fluid first.
      If you have MC disassembled can run a thin wire in there to break loose crud, then do above.

If you have a cruddy MC would bet there’s some in your calipers as well as brake lines. Would disconnect brake lines and blow em out with an air compressor, funnel some clean fluid in em and do it agin. Only way to be sure that caliper(s) are clean is to remove piston

mro

Comment

I have rebuilt both calipers and they seem to work fine. The problem only seems to be the return hole in the M/C. I guess that I will have to take it back off the bike and try again. I am just not sure that I can get a wire or anything to go the entire length of the spooge hole on this caliper. It seems completely different than an XS m/c. At least now I know what all has to come off to get the m/c out. Thanks for the reply.
        Harry

'79 Standard
        '82 XJ1100
        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Try cleaning up the proportioning valve. I had to take mine apart and clean it before my rear brakes would work correctly. It is simple to open up and clean, just remember how you took it apart and assemble it in the same order.
          The only known XJ1100 Interstate

Comment

I will be pulling it back off of the bike this week. Want to get it fixed so I can get back to riding. I have been riding with only the front brake for too long.
            Harry

'79 Standard
            '82 XJ1100
            '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
            X