Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbs

how long shood i boil my carbs <till thay are frok tender LOL >

HOW DO YOU KNOW THEY ARE CLEAN AND CAN YOU SOLDER UP A FLOAT WITH A HOLE IN IT THE FLOT IS BRASS CLEANED THEM UP WELL AND GOT ALL THE GAS OUT OF THEM CAN SEE THE HOLE IN THEM A SMALL PIN HOLE THE CARBES ARE OF A 1979 YHAMAHA XS 1100 SPECIAL

Hey Bear,

Yes, you can solder them, but John's experience was that as you apply the heat, the air inside expands and tries to push the solder out of the hole!

A person suggested soldering them while sitting on ice...the float that is, not you! You will want to leave it out in the sun for a while first to ensure that all of the fuel/water has been dried out from inside of it first! Good Luck!
    T.C.

Verification of clean is usually done with carb cleaner, being able to see(with safety glasses) the cleaner spray out of every orifice(in the carb ) that you can find!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

boiling carbs

I boiled them for over 2 hours there was a lot of junk floting on the top of the water my wife was not happy with me useing her big nesco. oh whell I have ben in the dog house befor lolat lest my carbs are clean

Comment

Hi Bear,
        so what if any kinda detergent or cleanser did you put in the water when you boiled them? Didja consider giving them a ride through the dishwasher instead? Seriously now, a carb bilin' is only part of the answer.
        Once cooled, squirt pressure can carb leaner down every little passage in the carb body until it squirts out of the other end of it. You shoulda had all the jets, slow running needles and enrichener plugs
        removed before boiling the carbs. Give them a good squirt with the carb cleaner too.
        Fred Hill, S'toon.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

boling carbs

after I took them out of the water I used the sink hose and ran hot water throw them and then more carb cleaner when they where still hot them took them to work blow them out with air and sprade them with carb cleaner a gen and blow them out agen did this till carb cleaner came out all ports whell and no detergent or cleanser in water but did think of putting them in dish washer

Comment

Boiling or dishing washer works great on the outside...don't ask how I know!! But I don't think ANYTHING works as good as spray carb cleaner on the inside. You can't give em a 2 sec squirt and expect em to be clean, leave em sit 15 min or so between squirts. My 2 cents.
            79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
            79 SF parts bike.

Comment

boiling carbs

i let them sit over 2 hours then blow them out each time did this all day till i went home after 8 hours

Comment

carbs

I have an XS1100 cleaned the carbes by boiling them and using carb cleaner put new rings in the bicke did a valve job on it put new clear gas lines and filters in the lines befor the carbs can get it started it will run whell but after i shut it off and restart it it will not run stedy it will jump in speed from 2 to 5 grand by its selfe and it will only run with the chock on full its getting gas when i take the drain plugs out of the carbs i ges good flow out of each and can see the gas running in the lines
                shut the bicke off and it will run good a gen then restart it it starts hardall the cylinders are firing becouse all the pipes are veary hot its got good vackum becouse if i holded the diaphragm assembly up and put my finger over the port in frount of the carb thay will stay up and when its running thay move up and down the bicke is running liek its not getting gas it sat for over 20 years be for i put the carbs back on i put my hand over the carb boot and turned it over to see if there was vackum and it sucked my hand tite to it and kept it there till i polled it away yes it hert shoud i put new parts in the carbs
                rebild them

Comment

3 times

You will hear 3 times a lot from the folks on this site. You should go through the carbs again and make sure you sync them when you clean them this time.
                  2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                  81 LH
                  02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                  22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                  Jim

Comment

I think when I clean the carbs for my other bike I will buy a paint spray gun cleaning kit and use those very small DIA brushes through all the holes. I don't think I trust just soaking them any more. Need to get some Brussels through all them channels, make physical contact with the surfaces while being soaked and cleaned.
                    Rob
                    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

cleaned the carbes by boiling them
                      will not run stedy it will jump in speed from 2 to 5 grand by its self
                      will only run with the chock on full
                      1..Did you remove any rubber pieces from the carbs before doing this???
                      2.. and 3.. sound like a combination of carbs needing to be synchronized and running lean, possible vacuum leak(s)

"boiling" the carbs without removing the throttle shaft seals or damage to them from being removed and reinstalled can cause them to leak, (suck air when engine running) making the engine run lean.

As the engine warms, it will run a little bit more lean than when cold (this is normal).

This coupled with a vacuum leak,
                      (can leak from shaft seals, vac hose, boot caps, boots or where boots attach to head)
                      as the engine warms RPM will rise, then if carbs outa sync it can easily run 2 to 5 thousand RPM on it's own.

mro

Comment

BTW

Have you reinstalled the airbox/filter???

mro

Comment

carbs

the top only left open to see if I hade gas leeks

Comment

carbs

going to take them off a gen and recheck the flots agenhade gas driping from filter box

Comment

carbs

I reset the flots at 1.012 and the #4 carb is fireing and the rest are not its lick thay are starving for gas but if i take the plub out of the bottem of the carb gas runs out of them the bick is a 1979 XS1100 and I got ride of the outapuss
                              HELP polling my hair out and the carbs are clean taken them apart 7 times now

Comment

Working...
                              X