puking carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my new floats this morning...

...so now I was only a quick swap away from carburator nirvana. Right?

#%#^ no!!!

I put the floats in, set the height, put gas to it and ALL THREE CARBS WITH NEW FLOATS PUKED GAS!!!

So, I reset the height, more gas and they all three still puke. Ok, so next I tried putting gas to it while upsidown with the bowls off. The valves close nicely. So the problem seems to be the floats are rubbing on the bowls. A little tweaking and things are better. 1 & 3 are holding but #4 still pukes. I played with #4 and then 4 held nicely, but the #1 decide to puke again.

I give up for the day. I'll get back to it tomorrow. Perhaps I should have stayed with the old floats afterall....

If I can get past this float thing, I should be able to go for first start this weekend.

Eric
    Eric Roellig
    1980 SG w Windjammer V & KG hard bags
    **Very first bike**
    Current condition: Running!!! Lead, follow or get the #^%# out of my way!!!!!!

Comment

might try raising the float height (upside down)
      A mm or so ??
      you can check the actual leval of gas with a 1/4" clear tube .

I fought mine too .........

bob
      1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
      1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

Originally posted by underdog57
        might try raising the float height (upside down)
        A mm or so ??
        you can check the actual leval of gas with a 1/4" clear tube .

bob
        Bob,

Yeah, I'm using clear tubing to see the gas level. BTW: How close to the bowl gasket should the gas level get? Mine seem to be almost that high....

Also, adjusting the floats higher (while upsidown) is one of the "tweaks" I've been doing. However, it seems like the floats are hitting the sides of the bowls. Some of the floats have been twisted, and I've had to untwist them. Some floats are bent outwards or inwards so I've been trying to find the correct orientation to keep from binding as the float travels up & down. Kinda hard to do since the bowl is sealed when the bad stuff happens.

BTW: One of these "new" floats looks all the world like it isn't new. Has kinda funny marks on it like gas varnish deposits were there. OTOH, the tang doesn't have a wear spot....

Eric
        Eric Roellig
        **Very first bike**

Comment

gas level should be, I think, a 16th of an inch lower than the bowl
          where the mounting screw tightens on . + or - .040 .
          way below the gasket......
          odd how the floats are misshandled previously ??

Bob
          1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
          1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

Originally posted by underdog57

odd how the floats are misshandled previously ??

Bob
            Yes, The new float I got for the original rebuild for carb #2 worked just fine out-of-the-box. I'm a little suspicious about these latest ones.....
            Eric Roellig
            **Very first bike**

Comment

I really SHOULD have stayed with the old floats...

Well, I fought the new floats for several hours. I've concluded that these floats must be for a different carb. The new one I got a year ago worked fine right out-of-the-box. These three just will not work.

I've switched back to my old ones.

Carbs are in place, air cleaner is in. Now I gotta remember where a couple of brackets are supposed to go and get things routed correctly.

Getting closer.......

Eric
              Eric Roellig
              **Very first bike**

Comment

When my carbs were puking it turned out to be a combination of blocked vents right in the air box and faulty float valves.
                Rob
                KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Working...
                X