Pickup coil color scheme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup coil color scheme

Hi guys, can someone tell me which color wires from the pickup coils feed cylinders 2 and 3 and which feed 1 and 4?

Thanks,
    Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

It should be an easy question to answer with an XS11 manual, but I just looked at a clymers manual, there's info on tci testing in the haynes manual which I haven't got(I wrote down the figures somewhere, but Randy and co have got all that tci stuff sussed, but I still don't know which is which, there's sky blue and orange, which is which I don't know, they come from the tci, but if the bike runs - then they're the right way round

Comment

Hi Pggg,

My issue is I have good spark on two and three, but poor spark on two and three at low rpms. I've done the fix on one pair of wires from the pickup coils. I'm just tryng to figure out if the wires I didn't fix are bad or the wires I did fix weren't fixed very well. I don't want to cut the other wires until I know that they need it.
      The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

I'd go on the reasoning it's the unfixed wire that's busted if nothing changed, but a weak spark at low revs almost sounds like sparkplug trouble maybe a test- cross wires at the connections to both ignition coils AND pick-up coils, the connecter plugs are under the panels, the weak spark should swap to 1&4?

Comment

I'm pretty much ruling out the plugs. I have new plugs, new coils, new wires, two different TCUs have not affected the problem, and I've cleaned the carbs so many times that the glare from the shiny metal is threatening my eyesight.

I figure, if someone can tell me which pickup coil feeds which pair of cylinders, that I can pretty much make a decision on this issue without unplugging, rewiring or messing with anything. If the pickup coil on the left feeds cylinders two and three, then I am done with that pickup coil and need to look at the other one. The spark on two and three is awesome. If, however, that pickup feeds one and four then I have several other issues I need to consider before I start cutting and soldering.

Patrick

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

Patrick,

The fact that you have spark pretty much rules out the wires being bad. Check the pickup coil GAP - should be .7mm on both pickups, I'll bet one of them, the weak spark one, is gapped wide.

To do this, you'll have to remove the timing plate and put the bolt back in with a few 8mm washers. Then shift into first and turn the engine with the rear wheel to line up the mark on the pickup with the tongue on the reluctor. The pickup mounting screws can be loosened and the pickup can be swung in or out to adjust the gap. Kind of like points used to be adjusted.

Gap is .7mm. I've got mine set to .5mm, nice fat hot sparks.Just my $.02

Comment

Working...
            X