Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tachometer question

Ok last one for the night! I promise!

I noticed today that my tachometer will not show a reading higher than about 5500 RPM. Even when I rev the engine in neutral, it is as if the needle hits a wall right there and will go no further.
    Wondered if this is a problem with the tachometer, the cable...something else.
    Any ideas?

Thank you!

Q
    "FAITH...Dare to take the journey that begins where the path ends..."

1981 XS1100 Special...Zoom! Zoom!
    1982 XJ650 Maxim...almost out the door...

Sounds like a pretty tacky problem

Suspect tach but would check that connectors are clean and well seated, then would check voltage from white wire to tack.

mro

Comment

Hey there Quentin,

Check out THIS TECH TIP in the Repairs section!

It's amazing the amount of information on this site just in the tech tips alone, not to mention doing some simple searches in the Forum Threads....the search function does work!

The tachs are Electronic, no spinning cable!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Little Wobble

My SH has just started to do the wobble tach thing but only between 3 & 4K. Its stable every where else. That would indacate wear in something as thats were the needle stays most of the time. Bike has 32 K on it so not real high time. I have some instrument oil that is use for clocks. Thinking of loading a syringe with it and trying to hit the bearings with that. I'll let you know how it works out.
        Last edited by wingnut; 06-16-2007, 05:49 AM.
        wingnut
        81 SH (Daily Ride)
        81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
        81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
        82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
        81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
        X