Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell-tale signs of a "Midnight"

Hi All!

New owner of an '81 XS11 Special. Based on the previous owner's insurance cards, it is listed as a Midnight Special, but the serial number listed on the title indicates an "SH" rather than an "LH"(the Midnight, right?). The tank and sidecovers have obviously been repainted multiple times (on top of each other apparently) so I don't really have any idea what the original paint was. I would accept it to be a regular special, except my Pastor has a nearly identical '80 special and there are some subtle paint differences on different parts of the bike. For example his has chrome valve covers and mine are painted black with silver highlights. Also the rear wheel gear housing and resovoir (sorry don't know the tech name for it) on his bike is all siver where mine is again black with silver highlights.
    These could just be standard variations, but I do not know, so I thought I would throw it out there for someone who knows to maybe shed some light on it for me. It really doesn't matter so much, except I am planning on tearing it down and repainting it this winter, and knowing what she started out as may influence my color choice.
    Thank you in advance for your input.

Quentin
    "FAITH...Dare to take the journey that begins where the path ends..."

1981 XS1100 Special...Zoom! Zoom!
    1982 XJ650 Maxim...almost out the door...

Specs

Click on SPECIFICATIONS in the colume to you left on this page and look at the serial #s that will tell you what you have
    Mitch
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Hey Quentin,

Welcome. Yeah, black valve covers/final drives with brushed accents are normal for the 81 SH series, and like you said, you verified it with the serial number, so some previous owner labelled it a Midnight when it was probably just black Special!?

A few other telltale signs, the side covers should say Midnight, and the wheels would be curved spoked, gold colored seat grab rail, as well as most other accents that would have been chrome should be gold toned!! So....unless you have these other features, then you've probably got a regular Special!

But a fine machine no less!!!
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks guys! That is exactly the info I was looking for. Couldn't agree more that it is a FIIIINE machine. I am lovin' ridin' it. Though when the time comes, I think I will be looking for a midnight next!

Q
        "FAITH...Dare to take the journey that begins where the path ends..."

1981 XS1100 Special...Zoom! Zoom!
        1982 XJ650 Maxim...almost out the door...

Comment

For example his has chrome valve covers
          chrome covers are not stock to any XS11.

Specials are.....special

mro

Comment

Working...
          X