Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner (long post)

Hi,

I just bought a (78?) XS1100 a couple of months ago for $400.
    Originally a Canadian bike I believe, I picked it up in Tampa Fl. The bike has 1977 on the VIN badge. It's VIN is 2H7.

The bike only had 1,700km on the speedo. Appears to have been sitting for about 30 years.

Mostly the bike seems in good shape except for the expected corrosion from sitting so long.

Tires are OEM and look almost new except for the age cracks (won't use them, obviously).

No road rash but the bike has been dropped at least a couple of times from a stop, as headlight bucket is cracked, turn signals broken.

All the grease has turned to a semi-hard paste substance, cleaned all the bearings and none looked pitted or worn, so I'll re-use them.

Carbs were locked up, gas turned to hardened varnish long ago.
    Gas tank had fossil fuel which returned to its actual fossil state in it...tank looks ok but is beyond my means to repair, so I got a nice one off ebay for $55. Carbs cleaned up and rebuilt nicely.

I'll be getting petcock adapter plates and Sifton petcocks (trashing the vacuum petcocks which are gummed solid).

Brakes were locked (open and not against the rotors, thank God).
    A few drops of some strange pre-historic foul smelling goo in them, but they cleaned up and rebuilt nicely (minimal pitting on the pistons)....need new lines, may as well get stainless.

Will attempt to fire the engine up this weekend, after an oil change and checking the valve train visually.

NEED A LEFT SIDE COVER!!! Got the right one but I keep getting outbid/sniped on ebay for the left one. I also checked with an un-named XS11 source for side cover pricing ($95 for a used one...$195 for a repro seems a bit out of line to me...) At this point I'd be willing to pay a max of $70 for a decent one. Where do they all go?....is there some dimly lit warehouse full of thousands with a mad collector of XS11 sidecovers in a run down industrial district somewhere plotting his next victim? (You can tell me....I gotta know....)

This is my 16th bike....4th restoration...looks like there is a loyal following and plenty of good info out there...Nice to meet you all, and wish me luck!

Guy
    Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Good luck.

I don't have any extra side covers, though. Just 2 each for the 2 bikes. Someone here will chime in though. And the merriam Cycle side covers are actually a resin or something, much more durable than the plastic ones.
    I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

I think that people break the locking tab off and the side covers either just fly away or are thrown away as they are replaced. It is not impossible to get one with a broken tab and repair it.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

im in the same boat i have a left side cover but no right and its starting to look like an act of GOD will be the only way i get one. i stopped looking for a decent one its at the point where im willing to take one in one piece thats repairable
        when in doubt...get a bigger hammer
        '78 XS11e, '79 XS11sf,'81 Mazda RX7, '83 XJ650lj Turbo, '95 Ford F150, '93 Chevy K2500, '04 Honda Pilot,
        '89 Arctic Cat Wildcat, '89 Arctic Cat El Tigre 530, '81 Arctic Cat Trailcat 340, '79 john deere trailfire 440,
        '78 Cadillac Seville
        Don't steal the government hates competition

Comment

Working...
        X