Replacing a broken front brake lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a broken front brake lever

Does anyone know how to replace the front brake lever on a '79 XS Special? Is there anything special to look out for?

Semper Fi!

Just unbolt it from the master cylinder, and watch for the small return spring that is stuck in a hole i the lever. I recently changed mine, and I had to enlarge the hole for the spring to fit into. You will have to swap/adjust the screw that presses on the master cylinder plunger.

Comment

All I can add is to make sure that little return spring goes into the little hole in the MC body properly or it will end up getting messed up with the MC plunger. When that happens you end up with the plunger not being able to return and front brakes are locked on. Don't ask me how I know.
      Rob
      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Probably a bit over the top if it's just a simple snapped lever, but you could always swap on another or similar(17mm) cylinder/lever unit. Here's a GSXR unit(14mm but available in bigger sizes))with it's Brembo reservoir on an XS11, (in this case different calipers too)of course if you swap things you're immediately losing the original look and whamo! your bike then ain't original no more...

Ha ha, anyway if you're not too worried about swapping things, there's some added extras, the gixxer cylinders have adjustable lever span and a bleed valve at the cylinder itself, although you can do the same on the XS as the bleed valve is just part of the banjo bolt.

Also, if running steel lines on the XS calipers, a 14mm cylinder could very well give better braking than with the XS 17mm cylinder.(Guessing, as I didn't try the 14mm with the XS calipers) 14mm feels a lot softer and 'spongier' and only takes light pressure to lock the brakes hard if needed, whereas the 17mm XS is more 'harder ya squeeze, the harder the brakes get'

Comment

Don't know what's up with my pics not appearing, my ISP is playing games again

Comment

Working...
          X