Ok Im Back! Still working on her!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok Im Back! Still working on her!!

Well the last time I was here I was venting my frustrations because my 1978 XS-11 was driving me nuts,Which it still does!! I was even thinking of selling her off and just stick to my 2006 Hayabusa. But The XS was my first bike I ever owned back in 1988 and just cant do it! I have cleaned the carbs three times but I still get fuel into the air cleaner, Float needles? And I ordered the tank prep and liner kit from chaparral which should be here today. She wont idle at all but if you keep the throttle open a little you can keep her running. I had a blast driving the old XS around the block a few times, And my son walter III drove her around our property which is a acre and 1/4. Now I got oval track for a yard,lol,, Some of my neighbors think I am crazy for wanting to fix up this old bike,But I dont care. I dont know how to describe it, We all could get other bikes but if you ever owned a XS-11 you cant help but love it.
    1978 Yamaha XS-1100 STD
    1979 Yamaha XS-1100 Special
    1978 Yamaha XS-1100 STD
    1984 Honda V-65 Magna
    1984 Kawasaki ZN-1100
    1984 Honda V-65 Sabre
    1980 Yamaha XS-1100 STD
    2003 Suzuki Katana 750
    2006 SUZUKI HAYABUSA 1300R

Take the easy way out, just order up new float needles and float needle seats, install them, and adjust your float height. Also, make sure that your floats are all good. Once you have done these things, I guarantee that will stop the leaking carb problem. While you have them open, you should check your pilot and main jets - if it hasn't run for a long time (years), you might even consider getting new ones rather than trying to clean them.

My brother's 'new' bike had the pilots so gummed up that soaking in carb cleaner overnight wouldn't clear them, so I put new jets/float needles/float needle seats in from mike's 650.
    Last edited by Snow; 06-12-2007, 07:46 AM.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

yeah, yeah, yeah... I've heard it all before, but tough!
      Go to your local music store and buy the two thinnest sizes of guitar string. They are the right size to clean out any plugged jet or oriface your carbs have.
      Any 'scratching or gouging' they supposedly would do to the jets is insignificant.
      Worn float needles will leak. Put in new ones. Then "bench test" the carbs before reinstalling them to ensure they don't leak.
      With good needles... and a "no leaker" on the bench, if they still leak on the bike, check the vent hoses. These are the ones at the top of the carb. (The lower ones are for supplying fuel) If these lines are plugged, or the fittings at the airbox are plugged, she'll flood, too.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Originally posted by prometheus578
        check the vent hoses. These are the ones at the top of the carb. (The lower ones are for supplying fuel) If these lines are plugged, or the fittings at the airbox are plugged, she'll flood, too.
        I prolly should have mentioned I assumed these were correct as I also assumed it didn't leak before... of course, when I assume I make an A$$ out of me
        1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
        1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
        http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

I like the superslinky E strings. Put a kink in the middle so that you can put some rubbing force on the sides of the hole.

yeah, yeah, yeah... I've heard it all before, but tough!
          Go to your local music store and buy the two thinnest sizes of guitar string. They are the right size to clean out any plugged jet or oriface your carbs have.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Always hard to diagnose someone's problems without actually being there. All we have to go by is 'assumption'. (they know what needs to be done, but did they do it correctly?)
            Trouble-shooting and repair abilities and experience vary widely from rider to rider.
            You'd be surprised how many bikes get towed to shops because they don't run...... just 'cause they're out of gas!

Comment

"Oh, what an opportunity for wordplay...!"

I like the superslinky E strings. Put a kink in the middle so that you can put some rubbing force on the sides of the hole.
              I like G strings, better.
              As for Skid's other kinky statement... I won't comment (abilities and experience vary widely from rider to rider)

Comment

Re: "Oh, what an opportunity for wordplay...!"

Kind of...Freudian.

I like G strings, better.
                As for Skid's other kinky statement... I won't comment (abilities and experience vary widely from rider to rider)
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                X