Xs11 Special engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xs11 Special engine swap

I am going to change engines in my 80 XS11 special. I bought a 79 engine to put in the bike.
    OK, I got all the bolts and nuts off, all the wires and tubes diconnected; the engine is free to be removed. But the sucker weighs about 250 lbs. I could get a couple younger guys from work to wrestle it out for me, but I would like to do it myself.

Didnt someone say they laid the bike down on it's side and sat the engine on the floor? Then picked the bike up, sat the replacement engine in place and laid the bike over it in the same manner then stood the bike up with the replacement engine?

What do you guys think? Anybody swap enough engines to have some good tips?

Man, this is fun. I am just getting over a hurt leg and I am able to work in the shop again. Whee.
    tim correy
    Cassadaga NY
    80 Special "Big Nasty"

Laying it on it's side is only a good idea if the entire frame has be STRIPPED because the striped frame only weights about 50 some odd pounds. It weights about 250 un striped. The engine is 300.
    With the oil filter cover off jack the engine up enough to get some 1 X 2s under it (pull strap them to the frame) and then "slide it out onto something that is the right height. It worked well for me in reverse to install the engine alone.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Forget it... geta 12 pack and get the two younger guys from work! lol.

I think there was another thread that said these engines were somewhere in the 225 pound range. That would mean the bike... without the engine... still weighs more than my neighbors crotch rocket! lol.

Seriously... get some help. It will save a lot of dings and bumps and possibly some cracked fins or worse if the motor goes "Clunk". I'm strong enough to lift the weight, but there just isn't many hand holds on these.. especially in sideways under a frame. It's good to figure out a way to do it by yourself in case you just can't find anyone to help, but if you've got friends, ask them and save a lot of possible problems. Getting everything lined up on the way back IN is even more fun!

My 3 cents worth! lol..

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

The 1x2s worked like a charm.... thanks

I'll get some help to get the other engine up on the milk crates so I can slide it in.

Can't wait to ride again
        tim correy
        Cassadaga NY
        80 Special "Big Nasty"

Comment

So, how about fork seals?

Later guys, thanks a lot.
          tim correy
          Cassadaga NY
          80 Special "Big Nasty"

Comment

Get OEM YAMAHA,

Many folks have gotten aftermarket ones, only to have to replace them a few years later due to leaking again! The Yamaha brand are more durable!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

thanks, TC, I will get oem parts. The parts I have bought at Bike Bandit are YAMAHA oem parts. You still making the fork braces?
              tim correy
              Cassadaga NY
              80 Special "Big Nasty"

Comment

Shop crane

Tim sez:-
                I could get a couple younger guys from work to wrestle it out for me, but I would like to do it myself.
                Hi Tim,
                from that I guess you have attained (or passed) your physical maturity? What has saved this old fart's back time after time is my bargain shop crane. One of those folding jobs worked with a hydraulic cylinder. You gotta wait until Harbor Freight or whoever has them on as a loss leader for less than 1/2 price and be there when the doors open to get one of the few they actually have but it's well worth the effort. I only bought it to do one specific job but now it's in the garage it gets used a lot more than I'd ever thought it would.
                Fred Hill, S'toon.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by xsrider
                  thanks, TC, You still making the fork braces?
                  Sir, I'm afraid you have me confused with another cat,

TKAT is the fine gentleman and real machinist that makes the ForkeBraces, there's a link in the links section, if not in the Parts For Sale Forum....Sticky thread for parts from members!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Right, Thanks anyway. By the way the other engine is in now. Just the carbs and exhaust to go.
                    tim correy
                    Cassadaga NY
                    80 Special "Big Nasty"

Comment

All done, runs great, thanks everyone that replied. My XS has a new life!
                      tim correy
                      Cassadaga NY
                      80 Special "Big Nasty"

Comment

Working...
                      X