starter clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter clutch

Anyone ever have problems with the stater clutch not engageing when trying to start? For the last couple days its been acting up. Somtimes it works right away but other times it just takes a couple tries to get it to work.

Maybe it has to do with the cold weather making the oil thicker

yet another item to add to the winter to-do/check list...
    79ish suzuki rm250
    82 honda cb450sc
    78 honda cx500
    72 honda cb175
    78 yamaha xs11e

Re: starter clutch

You hit the nail on the head: Cold temps, thicker oil, and/or full synthetic oil can all contrute to the starter slippage. It sounds nasty but causes no damage that I I am aware of. Either change oil to lessen the affects or just shine it on!

Originally posted by procamper
    Anyone ever have problems with the stater clutch not engageing when trying to start? For the last couple days its been acting up. Somtimes it works right away but other times it just takes a couple tries to get it to work.

Maybe it has to do with the cold weather making the oil thicker

Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thats what I had figured. just changed from 20w-50 to 10w-40 for this winter, was hoping that would solve it, but only helped.

anyways, now i have to figure out why my turnsignals stopped working... always somthing, but thats why old bikes are fun, right?
      79ish suzuki rm250
      82 honda cb450sc
      78 honda cx500
      72 honda cb175
      78 yamaha xs11e

Comment

Turn signals

Think my turn signals (or indicators in UK-English ) packed up when the auto-cancel unit gave up the ghost.

Years ago when this first happened I replaced it (at whatever rip-off cost the shop wanted back then). Less than a year later, same thing happened - the unit fails and the indicators stopped working.

Of course if you dissconnect this little black box the lights wink fine - but you have to remember to cancel them by hand - no big hassle really unless you are HUGELY lazy!!

If you've got the same problem - the unit on my bike is in a rubber cover, fitted to a bracket on the frame, just in front of the forward fixing for the left hand side panel. Have a look, pull the plug apart and you may have the lights back.
        XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
        Guzzi 850
        Z1000

Comment

Re: Turn signals

Originally posted by uk1.1s
          Think my turn signals (or indicators in UK-English ) packed up when the auto-cancel unit gave up the ghost.

Don't you mean directionals? Or Winkers? Blinkers? What kind of English is that!! We just had this discussion on the Triumph list a few moths ago. I think a poll is in order....look for it in a few minutes!!
          Gary Granger
          Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
          2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Re: Starter Clutch

You can use the old ATV owner's trick: borrow the better half's blow dryer and warm up the sides of the starter housing first. I've used it on my '80-G one very cold morning and it works.
            Greg
            1980 XS1100-G
            1982 CX500 Custom
            1979 XL250-S

Comment

starter clutch

if you have to replace it........ $18 at www.partsnmore.com
              mick
              xs1.1s(x2)
              gsxr1100(1127)
              gsx1100g(x2)
              trophy900