Fast Idle and sputtering rh side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast Idle and sputtering rh side

Quick question to the carb experts. Just got my bike running again after a while sitting (12 years) I installed a used good rack of carbs from a 82XJ on my 80 XS11G. I did not clean with carb cleaner prior to installation. I did install new main and pilot jets in the bowls. I did not remove the pilot air jets or idle mixture screws. The bike runs great with the exception of sputtering from the right side exhaust, and it will not idle down. I mean sometimes it does but mostly it will not. The throttle returns normal. I am planning on removing the carbs tomorrow and remove the jets and clean with cleaner and also install new o rings and washers in the idle mixture screws. Any other ideas on the low speed drivability problem? It seems ok on high speed and pulls strong as it should. Thanks in advance, Kim
    1980 XS100G Standard, Full Dresser
    1980 Honda CB125S
    1984 Honda Nighthawk 650
    1986 BMW K100RT
    2004 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Oher than proper cleaninging, sounds like you need to vac sync em.

One carb can pull the rpm up.
    After first sink, idle about 900 (if will run there) adjust pilot screws. (return idle each time if changes between screw adjustment.

mro
    btw, if that don't fix it would check for a vacuum leak.
    Last edited by mro; 06-08-2007, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Thanks,
      I removed and cleaned carbs, installed new o'rings and washers in the pilot screws. Adjusted pilot screws, runs much better now, idles fine, still a little sputtering, guess my ears aren't as good as years ago. Took it out for a test run, and ran strong all the way up to 8 grand!! Brought back many great memories and yes made me felt 30 again. Thanks, Kim
      1980 XS100G Standard, Full Dresser
      1980 Honda CB125S
      1984 Honda Nighthawk 650
      1986 BMW K100RT
      2004 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Comment

Working...
      X