wiring harness and ignition switch socket problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring harness and ignition switch socket problem

well i finally found the right wiring harness but as you can see the sockets are totally different for the ignition switch wiring?

aftermarket ignition switch?

can't quite tell by the photo but appears that connector on switch is a 6-position connector
    also appears that same connector has not discolored or weathered enough to be oe.

78-79 uses a 3-position connector with Brown, Red, and Black

80-81 uses a 4-position connector with Brown, Red, Black, and Blue.

Comment

Re: aftermarket ignition switch?

Originally posted by Brian_D
      can't quite tell by the photo but appears that connector on switch is a 6-position connector
      also appears that same connector has not discolored or weathered enough to be oe.

78-79 uses a 3-position connector with Brown, Red, and Black

80-81 uses a 4-position connector with Brown, Red, Black, and Blue.
      no its a 4 connection both are but the one on the wiring harness is a smaller socket then the the ignition switch socket?

Comment

i found a small socket its for a 1979 special

Comment

79 ignition switch

won't work on the 80 harness. 78-79 have a 3-position connector for the ignition switch AND the harness.

Comment

you sure the connector on the ignition switch only has 4-positions? or is it a 6-position connector with only 4-pins?

Comment

Re: 79 ignition switch

won't work on the 80 harness. 78-79 have a 3-position connector for the ignition switch AND the harness.
              ok i took this photo of a connector from the wiring harness is this the 3 pin your talking about
              ?

Comment

I stock both the larger 3 and 4 prong plugs. Let me know if you want to replace just one side of either of these.

Geezer
                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

BLUE NOT BLACK

that is exactly what the 78-79 ignition switch connector looks like ON THE SWITCH SIDE....the harness side connector is female. both connectors will have one RED, one BROWN, and one BLUE wire. (in my earlier post I mistakenly referred to a black wire - there is no black wire in the ignition switch)

the 80-81 ignition switch connector is a 4-pin/position male on the switch side and 4-pin/position female on the harness side. it also has one RED, one BROWN, and one BLUE wire, the additional pin is used for the hazzard lights....don't have access at the moment to tell you the correct color of the additional wire.

Comment

Re: BLUE NOT BLACK

that is exactly what the 78-79 ignition switch connector looks like ON THE SWITCH SIDE....
                    what your looking at is the harness its a male socket ? 3 plug so i will have to find a
                    79-78 ignition switch and solder the wires together then.

Comment

before rewiring, use a volt meter and check the connector on the harness side - RED should be direct battery feed thru the 30A main fuse - hot all the time. BROWN will connect to the OFF-RUN switch thru the ignition fuse. BLUE supplies power to the lights.

Comment

Working...
                      X