Amzoil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amzoil

I don't want to start the whole syn vs dino oil thing all over again but I have had a problem and would like to know if anyone else has seen it.
    I started using the Amzoil 20w-50 motorcycle oil last year and put over 7000 miles on the stuff, LOVED it. Engine was quieter than it had EVER been, no problems seen, mileage was up about three to four mpg and was getting twice the mileage between changes (2000+ vs 1000). Started out this spring with new oil and filter and put about 1000 mi on her. Stopped at the local quick sack one day, pulled into the parking lot and pulled in the clutch, she had the bit in her teeth and would not stop!!
    I could feel the clutch pull in but she just kept on a going, used up a whole bunch of brake pads and adrenalin gettin her stopped and then babied her home (about four miles) in second gear. Pulled the right case off and found the clutch looks like new yet, no wear apparent, with the exception that the whole clutch was one ball of gooey black s&*t. Took over three hours to clean it up!
    Asked the local Amzoil dealer and he said "oh yah, I've heard about that happening" (???). The other internal parts looked perfect, only the clutch was affected.
    At this point I was talking to a local cycle dealer and he recommended the Scheaffer Supreme 7000 synthetic blend. He did say to call Scheaffer first on their 800 number (it is right on the bottle). I talked to a VERY nice tech rep and he said that it works great on V-twins and will work on some other bikes as long as the clutch is in good shape to begin with but will cause a worn metal to metal clutch to slip. I changed the filter and filled it up with the Scheaffers, put 500 miles on it as sort of a flush and changed it again. Clutch was a little grabby for the first 100 miles or so but is working OK now. Engine still VERY quiet and shifting is effortless and smooth. Have 2500 miles on the stuff now and just changed it again, will do it at 2000 from now on. So far, so good.
    My question is, has anyone else had this problem with the Amzoil?? When I told the Scheaffer rep what the clutch looked like he said right away "you are using Amzoil aren't you?" The other thing is, is anyone else using or has used the Scheaffers?

Tamer.
    The Old Tamer
    1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Hmmm...interesting, I like the Amzoil too, and ran it in my Aprilia and Triumph last year. I had an incident after the first ride of season on the Aprilia where the clutch would not disengage for a while. Hmmm. Not using it now back to Castrol Syntec 20W-50. Everthing seems OK. First I have heard of it though.
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Oil

Im trying to make my Suzuki faster so im using Kawasiki
      full synthetic Its a lot cheaper than most others and seems to work well
      Doug
      Doug Mitchell
      82 XJ1100 sold
      2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
      2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
      1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
      47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Working...
      X