tail lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tail lights

well hell here it is I just replaced my ignition my head light comes on when bike starts up turn signals work with key on brake light works but I have no tail lights oh and dash lights work I checked all wires under head light I checked both bulbs I checked fuses I also checked the light tester in front of battery and the wires coming from the back of tail light everything works except tail lights and plate light! I disconnected the tail light at the plug and tested it and there is no life in it at all help please thank you

Uh.

Maybe the bulb filaments shattered when the bike went down? Bulb filaments will do that when they recieve a shock while burning.

Comment

Hey Randy,

I was a bit confused also, because he had replied in the other XS down thread, but just looked at the dates, that was a year old thread!?

XS4US, you said you replaced the ignition.....what?? The switch at the handlebar, or the TCI unit? Okay, you said you have dash lights, they are on the same circuit as the tail/plate running lights, the blue wire, so there's a break somewhere. Have you pulled the seat off and followed the wire from the tail light back towards the battery. It may be pinched, broken due to seat pressing on it, etc.?? More plausible IF you had replaced the TCI since you had to take the seat off to get to it!?
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

this bike has never been down and when I said I replaced the ignition I was talking about the ignition where you put the key in I have has the seat off looking at the wires and did not see any broken or pinched I do have power to my head light tack and speedo abd brake lights but still no tail

Comment

Where'd you get the ignition switch from? Yamaha, or aftermarket like partsnmore?

I got a PNM switch a while back, but the wires and contacts weren't the same, and I also didn't have tail lights IIRC.

My key set was messed up, but the internals/wires were okay, so I pulled the switch apart, swapped the OEM bottom plate/wire assembly (which had beefier wires btw) with the ones on the new key set, put it back together and it worked like a charm.

I didn't bother trying to figure out what wires needed to be switched in the plug to get it to work with the wiring harness?

BTW, we saw your previous reply about a bike that had gone down in another recent thread you posted to, that's why Randy and I were thinking that!?!?
          T.C.

PS Here's the XS down thread we were looking at!?
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

yes that xs down thread was my wifes bike when she went down in the middle of spokane but everything worked out on that one now mine is messed up I got the part from cyclepartsdirect.com couse that copper connection inside the old one was very messed up so I had no choice but tu replace it and I checked they were exactly the same

Comment

Do you have power to that wire right behind the switch? If so.. and none back at the tail light, there is a break or short somewhere.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

does anyone have a wireing diagram they can send me thanks
                for the xs1100 special

Comment

Hi xs4us,

European bikes have a swith which looks the same, but the taillight is not fed direct from the ignition switch- check the feed from the switch!

I have an American-spec SG, converted to European spec; Headlamp relay out, lightswitch fitted, no running lights, reserve lighting unit bypassed, etc

AlanB
                  If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Another option is to just find a wire back there that's hot when the ignition is on... and wire into that.

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own