Cranky when wet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cranky when wet

My Special doesn't like being wet. Yesterday afternoon, when we had Seattle-like weather all day, I had major difficulty getting home. She didn't want to idle around 2k. I had to ride home with the enricher nearly wide open and keep the revs up between 3-4k. Any reason why this might be happening?
    1981 XS1100SH

Sometimes after washing mine, it runs rough at lower rpm. I found that the plug wire was jumping spark over to my head before it went into the boot.... so not getting to the plug to cause ignition. I cleaned up the end of the plug wires really good and haven't had the problem any more.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I have also heard that if your plugs are carboned-up, the resistance rises across the plug, and the spark can jump at the plug wire connection to the engine case. (Denny Z?)

Originally posted by trbig
      Sometimes after washing mine, it runs rough at lower rpm. I found that the plug wire was jumping spark over to my head before it went into the boot.... so not getting to the plug to cause ignition. I cleaned up the end of the plug wires really good and haven't had the problem any more.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thanks fo rhte advice. But this sounds more like misfiring, sputtering, and dying with incapable to re-start.
        1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Hey Malber,

If you've got the stock airbox, then what they are saying is most likely what you are experiencing....it's not a fuel problem, but an ignition problem. The reason you were having to rev it so much was because it was probably running on only 3 or 2 cylinders, so you needed more revs to keep it spinning and provide enough power to move the bike since it was effectively a 550 twin!

Rain water is not very pure, lots of stuff in it, can leave residues on the plug wires after dries, that can then act like conductors next time they get wet. Inspect the wires where they lay against the engine for signs of rubbing, etc.. Also, the power connectors for the coils...the primary leads may also be shorting when wet, cleaning and dielectric grease can help there also! I've even heard of spark plugs that shorted along the outside of the plug due to rain residue contamination!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I just bought my bike on Saturday. They guy was all worried because he had just washed it and it was running really bad.

I could tell that it was missing on a cylynder, so I pulled the boot off of plugs 3 and 4 and it was worse, then same with plug one. When I pulled the boot off of plug 2, there was no difference. there was my culprit. Plug 2 getting no spark. after turning the bike off and pulling the plug to check for spark further, the boot part separated from the wire.

What was happening is that the wire and the plug boot were not sealed well, and water was in there keeping it from getting good spark the the #2. a little adjustment, and some dielectric greese, and I am running good now....although I plan on replacing the the wires and the coils with this that I found on the modifications section:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...threadid=12452

Good luck with it, hopefully it is something basic on yours as well.
            '79 XS11 Special
            Semper Fi

Comment

It is plug wires, same thing happened to me while riding in the rain. I found it while riding, I touched the tank and got a bit of a shock. I ended up riding home holding the tank up with one hand, it was enough to make the electrons find the proper path to ground. Replace your wires and boots, it'll help, really. have a nice day and ride safe.
              I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

one more possible culprit........ coils ... check for cracks. I had mine try to strand me, it just stopped until it was dry enough. my coils were cracked up.... I put my backups in and went through rain the next time perfectly. This only works if the wires are good! Check those first.

it's worth a shot
                Mark A. Guthrie TSgt USAF (ret)
                S&M Comp. Serv. Inc. V.P.
                1981 XS11SH XCaliber

Comment

Working...
                X