No announcement yet.

Cam Chain Tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks a lot guys, I will have to replace the chain since the tensioner, even extended all the way out, is not applying enough pressure to keep the chain from slipping at the crank, already ordered one so again a little more waiting. Thanks to all

Comment

That is a sign that the chain is worn out or that the chain slipper is worn. But hey, you might as well see if the valves are bent. Excessive (way excessive) distances between the cam lobe and the shim will tell you if there is a valve stuck open.

Originally posted by tonio116
      thanks a lot guys, I will have to replace the chain since the tensioner, even extended all the way out, is not applying enough pressure to keep the chain from slipping at the crank, already ordered one so again a little more waiting. Thanks to all
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by tonio116
        I will have to replace the chain since the tensioner, even extended all the way out, is not applying enough pressure to keep the chain from slipping at the crank,
        tonio, first just be absolutely sure the chain is properly seated on the crankshaft sprocket. It is very unusual, even for a worn chain, to be able to jump a tooth with the tensioner extended. They will be loose enough to slap around, but they usually won't be loose enough to jump unless the tensioner has no tension at all. If the chain has slipped in beside the sprocket, even a brand new one will probably be loose enough to jump.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
        X