It Starts!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Starts!!

Sorry for the third thread in a couple of hours, but IT STARTS!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!

There was a bit of a smokey exhaust, and off the engine too but I attribute that to it having sat for several months... seems to have lessened considerably after running for a few minutes.

The pipes (near the engine) seem DAMNED hot though, too hot to touch after running for just a few seconds. That normal for this bike?

Regardless... IT STARTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rebuilt 1981 XS1100 H
    My story

header will heat up quickly. Would not let it run long with out puting a fan blowing on front of engine. Read some where that XSes have air cooled engines

Prom has post a good idea,
    spray some water on the pipes and pay attention to the sizzle to see if there all equally hot.

mro

Comment

That's odd... I mean, it will surely be sitting at long lights now and again, in traffic for sure. Here's hoping the engineers who designed the thing considered that. Though I suppose it would give me a good excuse to run red lights in the future.
      Rebuilt 1981 XS1100 H
      My story

Comment

I've gone away from using a fan when I'm doing a tune-up in the carport. Granted, I've been doing it for "a few" years, and a simple sync takes me significantly less than 5 minutes. I actually wonder some times if I've let the motor run long enough to come up to normal operating temperature. I'm sure those pointy-headed engineers thought of this too - the need to be able to putt along in slow moving or stopped traffic for extended periods. If you're going to take half an hour to do a tune-up, think about honing your skills a bit or getting out the box fan. It will be way too hot to touch without searing flesh, but it will still be okay.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
        X