How bad is this? (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad is this? (pics)

I just noticed the left lower cover on the engine of my H' seems.... dented somehow. Not sure if it was like this when my father-in-law had it or if it happened during transit to my house a month or so ago.

I haven't started it up yet.... but somehow, it doesn't look good.

Thanks,
    David
    Rebuilt 1981 XS1100 H
    My story

My personal opinion I would take the cover and look at from the inside out and see how far its dented inside then most likely end up replacing it
    Contact Andreas Im sure he was one

Comment

No oil behind that cover and most likely damage is cosmetic.
      Would not hurt to pull cover and check tho.

If you remove cover... can check that vacuum advance unit is working and adjust cam chain tensioner.

mro

Comment

I agree, dry cover,take it off ,check your pickup coil assembly. Try to hammer out the dent,carefully as most times it wil crack anyway. I have one if you need one. andreas PM please.

Comment

Hey Datter,

If you'll notice, the crash guards have a similar scrubbed pattern as well, probably a small slide fall, but the guards probably protected it from getting totally crushed. As long as the inner parts are not RUBBING then it's mostly cosmetic, unless there are any cracks where water could get thru, then it could lead to a problem in the rain. IF $ is tight, you could get some JB weld, or magnasteel/aluminum and patch it just to seal it!?
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I also think it's not going to be an issue unless the cover is not sealed. The timing guts are somewhat smaller then the cover and the Vac goodies are up top. Just take the cove off and check it out.
            Rob
            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

take the cover off. you may find the the bolt holding the timing plate on has come loose and come into contact with the cover.
              because the motor spins the oposite way of the bolt it may force itself out and dent the cover from the inside out.

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
              Second bike is an FJR1300.
              Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

Comment

Bah, just start it and ride!
                My 78E has that part of the engine block welded on and grinded into some sort of shape, oil almost doesnt leak and it did plenty of roads. The side cover was replaced, but I can think of nothing in there that would interfere with the dent.
                Keep the cover and tell ppl that it grinds it in corners if you ride slowly and that you need firmer suspension.

PS: On both my elevens I have the opposite cover in a similar state.

LP
                If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

That does not look bad at all except for the cosmetic effect. As has been stated, there is no oil behind that cover, remove it and check for cracks. If there are cracks seal them on the inside with some epoxy, replace the cover and ride that puppy.
                  Mine was caved tight in from a semi spitting a rock at me, pounded it back out carefully (don't do that with yours, she ain't that bad and it will cause it to break) epoxied it up and drove it that way for a year until I found a different one.
                  The Old Tamer
                  1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Working...
                  X