I am a "real" member now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am a "real" member now...

Well, I finally got ahold of crazypainter, and went to see and then buy his bike. It is an '80 Special with 47k on it. It is not perfect...but it is a nice bike for 26 years old...and for the miles looked to be in grood shape. He told me about how he washed the bike today and since he did that it seemed to miss, or like a cylinder was not firing. I looked it over at home, and could tell that the 2nd cylinder was not firing. pulled the spark plug cover, and the boot that attached to the plug separated from the wire itself. Did a little research on this site, and I am due for plug wires...prob will do the wire and coil rather than try the steps to replace the wires only. I was able to secure it a little though to get the bike running well. First day and you guys already helped me diagnose a problem.

That is when the Fun began. I kid you not, this was my first day on the bike.

I got the bike, and went to drive home...my wife following me in the car...and it started to rain. scratch that...POUR! I was on the interstate and had a bout 1.5 miles till I could get off and get stopped. That was fun.

Then I decided to go for a ride tonight to the barn where my wife keeps our horses. On the way back...WAY in the middle of nowhere...I ran out of gas. Yes I know...I already feel dumb. Thing was that I did not know what it was. New to me bike, I thought something horrible was wrong. Finally I used the light on my watch to switch to reserve, and made it to the gas station. Lesson learned. oh, and the fuel light does not work I guess.

Last bit o' fun was cruising on the county hiway at 60 mph, and had to swerve in between 2 deer standing in the road.
    '79 XS11 Special
    Semper Fi

Welcome

welcome and enjoy your new bike, ride it like you stole it.
    Doug
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Good to have another Nebraskan here. PM me if your ever riding to GI
      1981 XS 1100SH (Big Red)
      89 Club Car (ELECTRIC so it doesnt have a damn carb, thank God)

Comment

Welcome to the club!

Once you get used to it, you may never want to ride anything else!

Enjoy!
        80 XS1100SG
        81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Not hitting deer is a good thing. Don't take your riding skills for granted - ever. Riding in the evening and at dawn dials up the risk for deer.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

yeah, I was glad that on my first night out on the new bike I did not hit a deer doing 60.

Found out that I have another minor issue. fuel leaks out of the 1st carb, and onto the floor. overnight it lost maybe about 10 or 15 drops is all...so not a HUGE deal. just at first glance it appears that it is leaking from around the gasket around the float bowl maybe. I will see what I can find there.
            '79 XS11 Special
            Semper Fi

Comment

Don't take your riding skills for granted - ever

Can attest to that.
              Have found that the hot rod XS will go around a certain corner
              rock solid that the 80G will not

mro

Comment

Hey Mike,

Congrats on your acquisition!!

But, like you said, you found some good info just looking around. IT would be good to read ALL of the tech tips by SCROLLING DOWN FROM THE MAIN FORUM PAGE not just the link in the left column, maintenance, repairs, mods, and misc., before doing or using the bike too much.

Fuel leaking from the carb CAN be a big deal! Aside from it leaking from the carb...most likely from the intake bell, it can also be leaking inwards towards the engine, where it can flow into the cylinder, down past the rings, and into the oil contaminating it, thinning it out to where it will not provide proper lubrication, and then you can spin/burn bearings, and then you'll have to rebuild the entire engine !

The leaking is a sign of possibly other problems, such as an improperly functioning Octopus, or if not existent, also leaking petcock, and also leaking float needle valve or O-ring seat!? Could also be the rubber coated "T" fuel fitting in between each pair of carbs?

Would be a good thing to test these, and also go thru the carbs, cleaning them to remove varnish, gum, dirt or rust debris that can get in there from the tank, install in line fuel filters, very small particles can prevent the float needle from seating and sealing!

But keep in mind, these are minor things that when done now will provide years of trouble free service in the future!!!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                X