Best 4-1 for 82 XJ11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 4-1 for 82 XJ11?

My question is simple. I just want to know (performance wise) should I get the Jardine 4-1 or the MAC 4-1 for my 82 XJ11? My plans are to add K&N cones and maybe some larger carbs like what MAXIMAN did with some FJ1200 Carbs. I just want to start with the exhaust. "Better out than in I always say"

Jardiene has a better rep for quality and performance, the MAC systems are cheaper and loud. Given a choice I would go Jardine.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Thanks Jerry! Anyone else?

Comment

exhaust

jardine scrapes when turning
        bill
        bill hane

Comment

Jardine

I agree with Jerry.....the Jardines are superior to the Macs in quality and durablility.
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

The chrome Jardine can have a dragging problem, the painted Jardine is tucked in better. The painted 4:1 comes apart at the collector. This is nice for painting.

The painted Jardine does not fit a standard very well. Not sure on the chrome version.
            Last edited by Dennyz; 06-04-2007, 07:46 PM.
            DZ
            Vyger, 'F'
            "The Special", 'SF'
            '08 FJR1300

Comment

Jardine

Installed the black one on the Midnight last year along with K&N in stock air box. After some carb tweaking, and there will be plenty of that! I'm satisfied with it.
              Only two things, some may have been fortunate enough to bolt right up. Not on mine. Ended up fabing muffler mount out of 1" strap and painted black. Strap that came with it was 1/2" too short if I remember correctly. Used it to fab side stand stopper anyway. Wast not, want not I always say. Drill hole and install rubber stopper from orig. system. And I did add 6- 1/4" holes to the muffler to gain just a-little deeper sound.
              "Elvira"
              '80 XS1100LG

Comment

Sounds like Jardine takes the cake but I just recieved a message from a Jardine sales rep that Jardine does not make a System for the 82 XJ11 Maxim. Does/Did Jardine make a 4-1 that fits or can be made to work on an 82?

Comment

Not sure on that one? May be someone else can jump in. That was straight from Jardine sales rep.? If so, sounds like some fab work in the future.
                  "Elvira"
                  '80 XS1100LG

Comment

If it will fit an XS, it can be made to fit an XJ.

Comment

The XJ uses the same exhaust headers as the XS. There are two differences in the rest of the system.

1. The XJ is a little wider on the engine right side due to the different (brush-type) alterntor fitted to the XJ. I have never heard of this being a problem when fitting an exhaust, am currently running a Jardine 4 into 2 system.

2. Muffler mounts are different. The XJ uses the rear set (rear footpeg brackets) as a muffler mounting point, and the rear set is different than either the XS 11 Standard or Special sets. Muffler mounting point is closer to the engine. For this reason any system designed for an XS and installed on an XJ will require customized muffler mounts.

On the Jardine system I have, meant originally for a Special, I think, I had to shorten the collector by about 1.5 inches. This moved the muffler mount forward, and all that was needed was a short piece of flat stock to drop down from the rear set mount to the muffler. With a 4 into 1 the mod will have to be a little more involved.

Given the differences between the Standard, Special, and XJ rear sets, don't expect any system to be a straight bolt-on operation.

Dennyz put an R1 can on his Jardiene 4 into 1, built a nice frame mount for it and had to modify the brake lever a bit, but reported an increase in perofrmance plus better power. Photo appears to be off-line, found the earlier thread but photo link no longer works: Muffler discussion

Do a search on mufflers and you will see a number of threads on fitting different exhaust options to an XS or XJ.
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.
                      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

What about Kerker?

I've got a Kerker 4-into-1 on my XJ. Admittedly, I bought it in 1989. And, replaced the baffle in 1995. So, just for kicks I did a google search to see if it's still available. What was I thinking! Um, apparently Kerker isn't making anything for bikes older than 1990 now. Drat!

Sorry, I didn't want to delete this reply after I put all that effort into it!

Robert
                        XJ1100 - Stock
                        XV750 - POS parts bike

Comment

SuperTrapp bought Kerker in 1991

I just dowloaded their catalog...a total waste of time and bandwidth. It was nice to see Mr. Max so well represented in thier pages, though. Nothing for us XSives's.

So, Jardine may be the only alternative at this point.
                          XJ1100 - Stock
                          XV750 - POS parts bike

Comment

Practicality

Hi 'nath,
                            whichever 4-1 you fit, if it means you can't do an oilchange without pulling it or if you can't use the centrestand once it's on, you are trading away practicality to achieve style.
                            As a sidecar rider, I don't need no steenkin' centrestand (the centrestand frame hardpoints help to hold the chair on) I'd look at a 4-1 that had it's muffler on the bike's left side so as to direct the noise away from my passenger. Alas that every 4-1 I've seen sweeps to the right. Gotta be a conspiracy.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Fred

I agree with the statement of every 4-1 system having it's muffler on the right, but I do know of one sustem that exits to the left. One of my friends has a 76 KZ 900 with a Kerker header that exits to the left. It's about the only one I have ever seen like that. Back in '91 I had a 77 KZ1000, with a Kerker, but it exited to the right also.

Comment

Working...
                              X