Idle Mix Screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Mix Screws

Guys, You have been great help and I need to come to you again.
    The other night, I replaced the float neddles and valves. Started bike and it ran great. (Also NO leaking gas) The next evening I put 3 oz of Seafoam in the tank because I always had a hesitation and sputtering in the 2K to 3K range. I took the bike out for a 50 mile ride in which it performed like it always had. It was a little hard starting that night.
    The next evening, I almost couldnt start it! I had to crank it over and play with the enhancer quite a bit. Once it started, it ran like usual.
    Now tonight, I started it without touching the enhancer at all. I had never done that before as it has not been very warm here yet. It sounds like its running rich to me but I'm just a phone guy and not a bike mechanic.
    Should I try the idle mix or what would you do.
    1981 XS 1100SH (Big Red)
    89 Club Car (ELECTRIC so it doesnt have a damn carb, thank God)

If I remember correctly you had a leaking condiction and is why you've R&R float seats/needles?

Did you clean the carbs while they were out?
    Once carbs clean, floats adjusted, pilots out about 1 1/2 turns

Vac sync carbs, then adjust piolt needles.
    Check vac synk agin.

Hard starting...are you twisting the throttle?
    Can make it crank a bit before starting if you do.
    Need vacuum to open petcock and draw fuel into cylinder, opening throttle lowers vacuum. (poor spark can contribute too)

The hesitation and sputtering can be caused by carbs out a synk, "dirity carbs" as well as poor spark.

Need to be sure carbs are good then if problems presist time to check other things, pick up coil wires, coils, spark plug caps etc...

mro

Comment

Thanks mro. You are correct in remembering the leaking fuel.
      I did not clean carbs. PO did it last year and I was surprised how clean they looked. There was not even sediment in the bowls. I did try to adjust floats the best I could. I dont have a vacuum setup. I will probally try to make one this weekend. The one with pvc pipe is the only one I can find.

I havent given any throttle while starting.

This may be a dumb question, but where do you hook up the vacuum to each carb at?

Thanks
      1981 XS 1100SH (Big Red)
      89 Club Car (ELECTRIC so it doesnt have a damn carb, thank God)

Comment

Carb boots (intake manifolds) each have a port.
        On the standards outside two are used to activate fuel petcocks and inner two are capped off.
        Set petcocks to prime.

Don't forget to place a fan blowing on engine for cooling.

mro
        btw, should have sprayed carb cleaner thru all jets etc. when you had carbs off. Can't hurt.

Comment

Working...
        X