Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank Leak

Hello Again
    Anybody have experience with gas tanks leaking back by the petcock at the bottom of the seam. I can't really pick up exactly where the leak is. Doesn't appear really rusty or anything, but its obvious the previous owner had the same problem as they had put some sort of clear sealer over both sides in an effort to slow it down. It doesn't APPEAR to be coming from the petcocks although it looks like the gaskets make have slow-leaked on occasion.
    I was talking with a fellow who thought maybe we could carefully put a touch of weld on the seams to seal them, while flooding the inside of the empty tank with argon to prevent an explosion or fire. Not sure what anyone's thoughts are on that, because I cannot really tell a specific spot that is leaking.
    I also read the tech tip on sealing the tank or having it sealed at a radiator shop. The one shop said the sealer would fix most any small leaks, another shop said the sealer wouldn't help at all. i am a little confused here, so I thought I would see what the experience was out there. I appreciate any and all feedback and opinions on this matter. BTW, the bike is a 1981 XS1100 Special. Thanks!
    "FAITH...Dare to take the journey that begins where the path ends..."

1981 XS1100 Special...Zoom! Zoom!
    1982 XJ650 Maxim...almost out the door...

If it was mine, I would find an ebay tank; however, you can use the Caswell tank sealer epoxy to stop-up small holes. Concerning the petcocks, the screw-bolts are supposed to have fiber washers. You should not use any other washers with those, just use the flanged screw-bolts.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hey qbrainerd2,

If you don't really see any rust at the seam, then it probably isn't leaking there? More likely, the petcock, either from the large oval O-ring that seals the petcock base to the tank, but could also be the bolts holding it in place.

Believe it or not, I have used rubber washers from a faucet repair kit, have held for 7 years now, no leaks from the bolts. I got the O-ring....neoprene from local hardward store, it was round, but easily molded into the oval shape to make a seal! They can also leak from the actual petcock valve.

Good luck hunting the leak, hope it's the petcock!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
      X