Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• case guard compatability

Hello All!
    I am a new XS11 owner and in trying to get the bike ready to put on the road I am interested in putting some case guards/ crash bars on it. There are a couple of different ones currently available on ebay, one for a 1978-79 XS11 and the other is listed for a 1979. My bike is a 1981 XS11 Special and I wondered if the bolt patterns for mounting would be the same from 78-81. Any information would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance.
    Q
    "FAITH...Dare to take the journey that begins where the path ends..."

1981 XS1100 Special...Zoom! Zoom!
    1982 XJ650 Maxim...almost out the door...

They should all interchange. The only one with clearance issues is the right side on the XJ.
    I did find problems installing a set on my XS with the Jardine exhaust. The exhaust routs slightly different than stock so the 3 point case guards needed modification.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Thank you for the info Pat. My bike appears to have a stock exhaust on it so hopefully I would not have problems with a 3-point guard. There are 2 that I have found currently. One is a 2-point that is brand new, the other is a 3-point that is pretty well banged up, but cheap. I will give them a shot. Thanks again!

Comment

Define cheap, I think I have a set or two to sell. Used.
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Nobody has bid on the auction yet so no telling what the actual sale price would end up, but opening bid is $10 with $11 shipping charge and 2 days left. That is the 3-point that is beat up and includes 2 foot pegs. The other one's are brand new and currently at around $40 with $15 S&H, a little more than I was looking to spend at this point. Let me know what you have. I am definitely interested. thank you

Comment

Side guards

Pat are your extra side guards the two point or the three point set up. If they are three point what do you want for them? I have the two point but like the three point better.
            Thanks Tom
            82 XJ DAILY RIDE
            78 XS1100E FIXING UP
            79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
            79 XS1100SF NAKED BIKE
            80 XS1100SG FULL DRESS BIKE
            82 XJ IN THE ROUGH

Comment

on the subject, has anyone ever drop the bike on the guards? do they hold the bike up at the guards or do they tip over, to the handlebars and beyond
              anyone knows what other area makes contact with the ground should the case guards touchdown....
              "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
              History
              85 Yamaha FJ 1100
              79 yamaha xs1100f
              03 honda cbr 600 f4
              91 yamaha fzr 600
              84 yamaha fj 1100
              82 yamaha seca 750
              87 yamaha fazer
              86 yamaha maxim x
              82 yamaha vision
              78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Originally posted by mason79
                on the subject, has anyone ever drop the bike on the guards? do they hold the bike up at the guards or do they tip over, to the handlebars and beyond
                anyone knows what other area makes contact with the ground should the case guards touchdown....
                I have been subject to a couple of gravity pockets with my XS. They will not hold the bike up if you drop it but will protect the engine cases from getting banged up. The only ones that may hold it up are the "hoop" style, not very styleish in my eye. I have a factory hardbagger so the rear bag guards have keep it from falling completley over, 'cept the time someone hit it in the parking lot. The only real damage was to the trim on my fairing. Bag guards, case guards and fairing saved the tank and handlebars from damage. (still lookin for that hombre ) On a high speed get off, even the 3 point are gonna fold on ya.
                When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I went and looked and I have only one set.... and a unique, sort of set.

I have one set of 3 point chrome, has a bit of roadrash on the lower outter edges, but the chrome is nice.

The other "things" I have came on mt LG. I have never seen these on another XS. They are highway pegs with light mounts. The PO had MNS turn signals mounted as running lights (specials have no running lights) a set of regulat footpegs are mounted on the rear. Here you can just barely see them in front of the alternator:

They mount over the upper motor mount.

I'll post photos as soon as the batteries in the camera are charged.

Yes I have had my bikes fall over on the case guards.
                  (don't tell anyone else this) once I forgot to remove the disc lock on the front of my fully loaded E. I rolled about a foot and did an "Artie Johnson" (sorry you young 'uns, ask your Dad about Artie Johnson). Bike was undamaged but the left 2 point case guard was bent slightly back. It bent back easily. (really, don't tell anyone, that was embarrassing)

The other time was with my LG (no lock this time). It fell over in my driveway. Had the 3 point case guards and suffered no damage and the case guard did not bend.

Both times the case guard made it easier to get the bike back on its wheels. The bike kindof 'rolled' back up over the case guards instead of having to lift it.
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

well i think top cat's latest configuration will stop the bike from going over all the way,

i sold my amco's like a fool and one day tried to put my bike on the center stand and it went over, i was mad about that, but i figure it's better than "at speed" i had to file the alternator cover a little to shine it up, needless to say case guards are back for me,

yes pat show those pics when you got it, who knows there may be the first xs11.com auction for those
                    History
                    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                    79 yamaha xs1100f
                    03 honda cbr 600 f4
                    91 yamaha fzr 600
                    84 yamaha fj 1100
                    82 yamaha seca 750
                    87 yamaha fazer
                    86 yamaha maxim x
                    82 yamaha vision
                    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

That's what I'm afraid of.

If several people want someting I'm willing to part with (no mean feat in itself), who gets it? First dibbs? Does money talk? The one who needs it most (my favorite)?

The stress is getting to me!!!! (kidding)
                      Pat Kelly
                      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                      1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

supply and demand applies, present your items indicating condition, and the valuation process begins....
                        History
                        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                        79 yamaha xs1100f
                        03 honda cbr 600 f4
                        91 yamaha fzr 600
                        84 yamaha fj 1100
                        82 yamaha seca 750
                        87 yamaha fazer
                        86 yamaha maxim x
                        82 yamaha vision
                        78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

has anyone ever drop the bike on the guards?
                          My Dad hit two deer (doe and fawn) in one shot going about 60mph in Idaho. They took the front wheel out from under him, sending sliding down the road for several hundred feet. His 3 point case card took the brunt of the sliding. It ground it down to less than 1/16 of an inch thick. He was able to ride the bike another 200+ miles, the rest of the way home. I would say it worked.

I have dropped my bike several times on the guards. Mine even have flat spots on the lower corners from dragging them in the corns.

They (3 point) are very strong.
                          DZ
                          Vyger, 'F'
                          "The Special", 'SF'
                          '08 FJR1300

Comment

do you need longer bolts to secure the 3 pont system?
                            History
                            85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                            79 yamaha xs1100f
                            03 honda cbr 600 f4
                            91 yamaha fzr 600
                            84 yamaha fj 1100
                            82 yamaha seca 750
                            87 yamaha fazer
                            86 yamaha maxim x
                            82 yamaha vision
                            78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

I'm looking for three point guards, but don't need them as badly as some others might.
                              Can someone supply me with the brand names?
                              Are they still currently being made?
                              (I can't find anything similar in the catalogs at work)
                              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
                              X