Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trike conversion opinions wanted

Hey,

Due to medical reasons I can not balance my 1980 XS 1100MNS, so I am in the process of making it into a trike as follows. I have taken a 1980 xs850 back wheel and cut out the hub with the drive clutch.I have an adpater plate that I will bolt to the drive clutch and also to a 42-tooth sprocket. I have taken off the rear shocks and have replaced them with solid struts, I will make the rear axle into a jack shaft that will chain drive a one inch live axle immediately behind the rear axle but far enough back so that I can fit a sprocket on the live axle and connect it with a 41 chain. I am in the process of preparing the frame extension which will be bolted to the existing frame so that I can bring it back to two wheels if need be in the future. The live axle is 48 inches long and it will drive two 14 inch wheels with 4 mounting holes. I am adding two rotors to the live axle that are replacing the single rear disc brake. Will my madness work or do you think that I may experience a lot of rear wheel hop with the solid suspension???

Marc

I don't believe you will enjoy the solid suspension.
    Can you send a photo of the axle you plan to use?
    I'm having a hard time visualizing this.
    Then, there's always the question of safety with any modification.
    You don't care for the side car option?
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Tink's Trike

Tinkerbell is on the UK XS11 site

mro

Comment

His "house"

mro

Comment

I would think the using a cage rear axle/differential (modified like on the dwarf/legends cars) and using an open driveshaft would be relatively easy to do.
          Forget solid rear suspension. Fab a 4-link with coil-overs. Make it comfy (and safe).
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I've done a lot of miles on a hardtail Trike.
            If you're young and fit they're OK but after a 300 mile trip I decided I wanted suspension!

You could modify a swingarm to take a live axle. If the axle was mounted upside down it could be driven by the XS's shaft drive.

Visit my site for more details

If I can help just ask.

Tink
            Triking - it's a way of life!

www.trikenest.co.uk

Comment

Hi Neil,
              hope you don't mind me swiping the link to your ride.
              You guys have some very cool XSes

mro

Comment

Hey mro

No problem - I was just a bit surprised to see it there

Looks like my nickname has followed me.

Tink

www.trikenest.co.uk

Comment

Hey Tink,

Based on all your vast experience, what would you suggest is the best approach. I have looked at differentials from old small
                  Japanese cars and am also looking at something like a 4WD Suburu. Regardless, I presume I will have to invert the differential
                  so that I do not go in reverse all the time. Two other ideas were to build a gearbox that reverses the direction of rotation or aim an independent wheel suspension differential afixed to the frame facing back and have the drive shaft on top of the differential on a carrier bearing and connected with a wide belt.

Marc

Comment

Trike

OK Trikerneil and all you other trike riders give 2bhappy and me and anyone else that wants to build these some specification on building these trikes. SWMBO was looking over my shoulder when i brought this page up and she said YOU NEED to make one of those for us. I am a retired welder so fabrication would not be a problem for me, but might be for someone else. I have a 82 XJ that would make a good candidate for a trike.
                    Thanks Tom
                    82 XJ DAILY RIDE
                    78 XS1100E FIXING UP
                    79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
                    79 XS1100SF NAKED BIKE
                    80 XS1100SG FULL DRESS BIKE
                    82 XJ IN THE ROUGH

Comment

originally posted by Neil
                      Visit my site for more details
                      info made easy to get to, click below
                      http://www.trikenest.freeserve.co.uk/

mro
                      Looks like my nickname has followed me.
                      Was just to hard to pass up posting it

Comment

Trikenest Yamaha

followed some of the links on Neil's site to Mystery Designs looks like a very cool setup but waaaay out of my budget
                        would need a chain drive conversion for their rear end.

definitely want to convert a (future) bike to a 3-wheeler

Comment

2bhappy

A lot of this depends on your idea/ability/wallet.

The XS driveshaft rotates the wrong way for most car axles.
                          There are three solutions.
                          Turn the axle over.
                          Make a reverse rotaion gearbox. I made mine from two XS11 1st gears. It worked OK but made the drivetrain a bit more complicated.
                          Modify the middle gearbox so that the output shaft runs the correct way. This is my final solution. It's not that difficult although there is some turning, cylindrical grinding and alloy welding involved. It's a neat and tidy solution.

You want the lightest axle you can find about 48 inches wide with the pinion preferably on the centreline of the crownwheel. If you turn it over don't forget to swap the brake backplates from end to end otherwise the brakes will be cr*p.

A rigid Trike is easiest.
                          Take out the swingarm.
                          Pick up points on rear footrest mounts, top suspension mounts and the indicator mounts on the frame. You can make a bolt in rear end which is quite rideable.

A live axle
                          Remove the swingarm and make a widened one that takes an axle. The top suspension mounts can be used. I have a friend who makes a living building this sort of Trike HERE THere are one or two good pictures of his swingarms.

Then if you have the time/ability/money there is the fully independant rear suspension Trike, which is where I'm at after having the other types (I wouldn't go back).
                          My XS is modded from the swingarm pivots back using A arms from a lotus 7 type kit car and a Ford Sierra differential. There's no going back to two wheels with this approach.

There are companies that can suply a bolt on IRS kit HERE and HERE The Trikeshop use a prop drive diff as well as their chain drive conversions.

If you've waded your way to the end of this post you should have plenty to think about and a whole new set of questions

Tink
                          Last edited by Trikerneil; 06-02-2007, 01:42 AM.

www.trikenest.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X