Possible New XS1100 Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible New XS1100 Owner

Hi All, I am considering buying a 1979 XS1100 w/ 24k miles for $1500. I have owned 10 bikes since I was 14. This one is blue w/ samsonite bages on her. I noticed from your ser # & model ID page that to be blue and 1979 it would have to be Canadian or possible a 1981?
    I was also wondering anything I should be looking for as I will be looking at her this weekend. I currently own a 1998 XV1100 and would never get rid of her but I would like something else.
    Also where is that serial # located that would tell me year and model? Also I went to bikebandit.com and noticed many parts discontinued and I do not feel good about that, any opinions?

Thanks Jay

hopefully a XS1100 owner to be

http://www.xs11.com/tips/misc/misc2.shtml
    Jay, here is a link to a page from the "tech tips" portion of this site.
    It tells you what to look for in a used bike. Check it out.

The serial number is stamped into the engine case as well as the front of the frame. (on the side of the front tube, near the sticker)
    Let us know what you find.
    Good luck,
    Mike
    Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Also I went to bikebandit.com and noticed many parts discontinued and I do not feel good about that, any opinions?
      Fact of life on these and most bikes that are getting into their 3rd or 4th decade, more and more parts are no longer available through a dealer. Thats where eBay comes in. Cosmetic parts, in particular, go fast. Other parts follow, like standard size piston rings, mufflers, and some electronics like the XJ side stand switch.

If you are not comfortable looking for parts on ebay, in junk yards, or getting creative in finding alternates / work-arounds, than an XS may not be the bike for you. Nothing like having to buy a whole used transmission because Yamaha discontinued one of the washers used in it.....

On the bright side, these are exceptionally adaptable bikes. While it may be difficult to restore to original by using all OEM parts, finding solutions to common problems, like fuse block replacement, is not all that difficult if you are willing to work a bit. Most everything has been covered on this site in various 'threads' and there are some outstanding examples of everything from stock to custom-built efi XSs represented here.

So, it depends on what your interest is. The XS / XJ series, due to their age, are not good candidates for off-the-shelf parts and accessories. However, they respond well to TLC and offer a lot of performance for the buck. If you are into wrenching and finding solutions, then get an XS. If you want to spend more time riding and less time tracking down parts, than something newer may be a better fit.

Many who own an XS or XJ also own other bikes; at the rallies you will find people showing up on other Yamaha models as well as other brands. There is something satisfying about keeping/restoring/bringing back to life one of these rides, even if it turns out not to be your primary bike.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Yeah, what he said. These bikes are for the most part, bullet proof. If you buy a runner, and perform "normal" maintenance, you should not have many problems at all. ANY problem or question you could have can be answered here. There seems to be a decent supply of used parts available. A member here, andreashweiss, seems to have a gold mine of used parts and he would be your first source if you needed somthing. Ebay can come thru sometimes also. Anything else and someone here has figured a way to adapt, weld to, bolt on, reconfigure most anything. There are many members who have taken virtual basket cases and got them running. Now, there may have been many times they were ready to bag the project, but perservance, blood, sweat, tears and some cash got the bike back on the road. The bike will reward you with a stellar demonstration of what a muscle bike really is.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

If you ride it I bet you will buy it.
          I sold a really nice 79 xs11 special in the early eighties and regretted it for 20+ years until I got another one.
          My 2 cents.
          Andy

Comment

Working...
          X