Time required for Tranny Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time required for Tranny Repair

My XJ has 35K miles on the odometer. I've had 1st and 2nd gear problems for three years and slipping clutch in 3rd gear for one year...I've just been babying it. Last night on the way to a sporting event some kid in a Xbox car wanted to race. So, I'm thinking I'd kick his butt in 1st and 2nd gear if it'd stay in gear. I pulled away from the light using just enough throttle to keep the gears engaged and short shifted into 3rd so I could wrap the throttle around the handlebar. Obviously, I disappeared into the distance far ahead of the youth driving the Xbox. But, it left me missing that low-end grunt this bike has always had.

I've got all the tools. I've read all the tech. I've read the multitude of threads on this forum about this work. But, what I haven't read is "how long does it take?"

Think about it (those of you that have done it). You walk into the garage. There the bike is, ready to go for a ride. But, today (or is it today, tomorrow, and the next day) we're not going riding, we're gonna fix that tranny/clutch. The tranny needs grinding on the dogs and the clutch springs need to be shimmed. From the time you start until the time you take that oh so satisfying test ride, how much time has passed? Four hours, six hours, eight hours? I have to plan for this...and there's going to be a lot of complaining from SWMBO about the other higher priority projects that demand my attention.

Robert
    XJ1100 - Stock
    XV750 - POS parts bike

Maybe you missed this post by Jerry:

Guys who have done this fix more than once can get it done in around 4 hours, I took most of a day when I did mine but also fit a new exhaust system at the same time so it took longer. 6 to 8 hours for a first time is about average.
    Just curious, if you're taking the clutch apart, why not just replace the springs instead of "shimming" (?) and replace the plates?

Comment

Thanks Randy.

I did miss that thread. Thanks for posting that quote...there are multitudes of threads!

As for the clutch, I had the Barnett clutch woes. So, sucked it up and bought new Yamaha steels and friction discs. But, had long since thrown the Yamaha springs away. So, I used the Barnett springs with the new Yamaha parts. I'm not getting the tighter squeeze I was expecting with the Barnett springs and I think I've got plenty of travel left before I bend or bind these springs. I think the shim fix will suit my needs.

Robert
      XJ1100 - Stock
      XV750 - POS parts bike

Comment

Working...
      X