fuel tank swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel tank swap

I want to ask if a standard tank will fit an 81 sh? I kind of tired of stopping every 110 miles to get fuel. The swap I am considering is a tank from a 78 standard to an 81 special.

The petcocks are different, and the seat may have to be "bent" or cut just a very little to fit. I would plumb the carbs like a standard, and bypass the octy if you have not done so already.
    You will need to repaint the standard black to look good!
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

If you have reflectors on the frame they may interfere with the standard tank.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I'd love to make 110 miles on a special tank. I always ran completely dry at 90 miles on the interstate with my sidecar rig.

I put a standard tank on mine and it works well. I removed the standard tanks fuel sensor and replaced it with the specials, there's a thread here somewhere on how to do that. I also went with a aftermarket petcocks. This eliminates the vacuum controls and, since I have the option of running straight forward, rearward, or both out of the petcocks, I have a lot more options on fuel line routing. I've always hated where the stock petcocks point.

I still have the stock "buckhorn" handlebars and had to angle them up a bit to allow more room at full deflection, especially with a tank bag. I've added a vetter fairing and it has pretty tight clearances compared to the special tank. The seat doesn't fit well since there is the fuel overflow drain tube at the rear. I added a bit of duct tape to the underside front of the seat to protect it and just kinda jam it in position.

I still carry emergency fuel on long trips. I've a set of cortech saddlebags that a 2-3 gallon can fits in perfectly. I also have room in the hack for another 2-4 cans if needed but I plan to make a permanent aux tank this summer.

Kinda sucks. With a full load of camping gear, two dogs, and the kitchen sink, my rig gets half the mpg of my honda civic and about the same as my pickup. But then again in the cages I don't have the enjoyment of eating bugs and getting soaked when it rains. All a matter of perspective I guess.

Rob

Comment

As th others stated, it IS doable, but with a few changes.

In addittion to the octipus, petcocks, reflectors and drain tube hitting the seat, I found that it is now a little harder (more time consuming) to remove and install the seat.
          I cut the drain tube off of the back of the tank and it still crowds the seat.
          Instead of loosening the (2) 12mm boltsand sliding them thru the "keyholes" in the seat pan brackets, I have found it necessary to remove the (4) 10mm nuts and washers and remove the brackets from the frame when I want to get under the seat.
          No big deal, just different.
          Also I now have 2 keys. One for the gas cap and one for ignition and locks.

It IS nice to drive past a few more gas stations though.
          Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Originally posted by newmaac
            Also I now have 2 keys. One for the gas cap and one for ignition and locks.

Mike,
            If you still have the special gascap then remove the lock part and swap it into the standard cap. They are interchangable. Then you don't need two keys.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

COOL! Thanks Pat.
              For some reason, I didn't think that they were interchangable. I didn't even try.
              Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Working...
              X