Are overbore kits still available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are overbore kits still available?

Are the overbore kits still available? Anybody bought one recently?

Ben
    80g
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

bore kits

.Wisco still sells them 1179(i think) and 1196(the one I have)Just bought one last year.Comes complete,rings,pistons(10:25 to 1)pins,circlips and graphite head gasket.They say longevity is decreased, but I've had three xs11's all with 1196 kits with no real problems....."No replacement for displasement!" Anyone that sells Wisco should have a listing.

Comment

bore kits

Part numbers are...for the 1179 kit- K1179,for the 1196 kit- K1196
      below is the wiseco website....

http://www.wiseco.com/index.html

Comment

How is the performance? Did you notice the difference?

Ben

Formerly:
        1982 XS650
        1980 XS1100g
        1979 XS1100sf
        1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

im w/ Ben DID U SEE A DIFFERENCE

plz let us know

Comment

bore kits

I'd say there was a noticable difference.bore and compression was increased.definatly pulls harder!they say longevity is decreased ,but after my third xs with 1196 kits I've had no real problems.Better octane fuel is not a necessity but I use premium.On my full dress 80g I run now has an 1196 thats ported and a dynojet stage three kit.Has over 78 k on bike and 29 k on 1196 kitted motor.It has great acceleration(not as good as my nitrous V-Max though)

Comment

Hey Ben,

There was a thread about this subject some time ago, you can check it out here.

If your still interested in big bore kits, another good source is Bob Jones at Merriam Cycles .
              He has several "Hi performance" (whatever that really means) products including the Wiesco 1196 Big Bore kit. You can e-mail him from his site.
              [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
              [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
              The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

What's a good estimate on how much I'd pay to have all 4 cylinders bored in preparation for the big bore kit? (total cost of the big-bore upgrade)

Ben

Formerly:
                1982 XS650
                1980 XS1100g
                1979 XS1100sf
                1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

bore kit

Up here it cost me $125.00 to have the cylinders bored.The kit at the www.wiseco.com site lists it at around $425.00 your dollars.

Comment

Boring Cost$

Well, labor must be cheaper in Canada, down here it cost me $40.00 a hole, that's more than I would pay.....oh, wait a minute, this isn't the PLUS list!!! So I ended up with $160.00 total, but mine was done at a Motorcycle performance Machine Shop!! YMMV.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Bore kits

Hey Topcat,where else would you get the boring done? Quicky-mart.....HA HA HA!

Comment

Boring Reply

Hey there Will,
                        Well, I didn't really look into whether a standard Machine shop or Auto Machine shop would be willing or able to perform the job on the jugs. I was referred to this shop both in getting the work done and getting the piston set. That's all I meant by YMMV, I'm not a machinist or ASE mechanic so I don't really know about this aspect of the rebuild/boring job. Wasn't sure if Ben had a Motorcycle Machine shop available in his area, and whether the job could be done by a generic Machine shop, that's all. But, glad you had a good laugh, me too!
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

bore job

I figured thats what you meant....ha ha. I agree with you,I'm sure the auto machine shops do excellent work, but personally,I will always take my machining work that I'm not setup for to a qualified cycle or cycle performance shop. Afterall,we are dealing with a family member!....Will

Comment

I just found a place that has them in stock at just under $370 US. That is for either the W-K1179 or W-K1196. If nobody minds too much, I would like to divulge the location after I order my kit next week (payday don't you know) just to make sure I don't end up having to pay Wiseco retail prices.
                            1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                            1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                            http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

bore kits

Ha ha,like your thinking!Snow,family is planning on going down to my bud's place in Panama City this summer,i'll have to get your number and give you a ring,could shoot the breeze or meet at The Beach,for a few cold one's.Also have friends in Tallahassee,never been to their house yet(always met in the city)...might run into you....Will

Comment

Working...
                              X