Poll: Fuel milage increase since swapping F/D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Fuel milage increase since swapping F/D

It seems some members haven't seen an increase in fuel milage after swapping their final drives. I have seen an increase of 5 mpg at freeway speeds, and even more at slower speeds.
    If you have swapped your F/D, have you seen any increase in fuel milage?
    Yes, it was a substantial increase, 5 mpg or more.
    50.00%
    Yes, but not very substantial, less than 5 mpg.
    16.67%
    No, not at all.
    16.67%
    No, my milage actually decreased.
    16.67%
    Last edited by John; 05-31-2007, 08:47 AM.

Definitely smoother with the lower RPM's, but I've noticed a decrease in MPG. I know it's because I havent found the sweet spot yet. Swamp Thing likes to run around 5K rpm for the best MPG. Now, with the 750 FD, she hardly goes higher than 4200-4300 rpm. I think if I avoid 5th gear, my MPG will rise.

Comment

fuel sipping

I am getting avg. 44 mpgs as compared to 38 previously... That's everywhere I go.... I am beggining to wonder if 4-2 exhausts are better for this mod because the torque is always there in any given gear. I usually stay below 4000 rpm's wherever I go as well (except my latest test run )....I first pondered this when Skids reported same fuel mileage after his swap( wonder if he has 4-1 pipes).....IMHO this thing pulls harder in 4th gear after the swap than in 5th with the old FD....from 50-90 mph roll-on is where I like this set-up the best for hiway passing.....Any others with 4-1 pipes and the FD SWAP? All I know is I am not going back....
      MDRNF
      79F.....Not Stock
      80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

I've got a Kirker 4 to 1 on "daily ride". After the swap, my range increased and the RPM's at my cruise speed went down. I do notice that I need to drop a gear for passing, but I can live with that. It will pass in high, just not quite as fast as it used to.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Re: fuel sipping

Yup, that bike has Jardine 4-1's with 1980G engine and head.

Originally posted by xschop
          I first pondered this when Skids reported same fuel mileage after his swap( wonder if he has 4-1 pipes).....
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Much better

Well, I've tried to get the mileage measured right and after many trys I find the average is about a 8 MPG increase. At any rate I used to go to reserve at 110 miles and now I go to reserve at 150 miles. Last time it was at 154 miles to reserve.
            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
            Drilled airbox
            Tkat fork brace
            Hardly mufflers
            late model carbs
            Newer style fuses
            Oil pressure guage
            Custom security system
            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

My MPG didn't change. 36-38 MPG. 11FD or 850FD. Stock air cleaner or pods, stock exhaust. No Interstate Hwy around these parts. 60 MPH, 3200 RPM. If everyone lists there mods and driving speeds maybe we can narrow it down to where the MPG is increased. Lower RPM, less noise, less engine wear....it's a keeper!!
              79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
              79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Originally posted by red bandit
                My MPG didn't change. 36-38 MPG. 11FD or 850FD. Stock air cleaner or pods, stock exhaust. No Interstate Hwy around these parts. 60 MPH, 3200 RPM. If everyone lists there mods and driving speeds maybe we can narrow it down to where the MPG is increased. Lower RPM, less noise, less engine wear....it's a keeper!!
                I don't have the mod, but I usually notice a significant difference in mpg in different driving with my stock bike. If the majority of my usage is commuting to and from work I get around 36 mpg. When I go for my sunday ride it can be over 40 mpg. It's probably because of the more wide open continuous throttle on the ride days compared with the stop and go of commuting. If you're not getting up to constant speed for a long distance, this mod may not be beneficial to mpg.
                1981 XS1100SH

Comment

I really want to do this. My middle drive gear went out on me, I think, and this will make for a good time to replace the final drive as well. I will post my results as I get them. I currently get a sparse 34 mpg and am looking forward to an improvement!
                  1984 XJ1100 - 79 cams, XS850 FD, XS triple tree/euro cafe bars, hydraulic clutch, bar end mirrors, yamaha R1 rear mono-shock
                  1972 CL350 - clubmans, Mike's XS coils/condenser, '98 Yamaha R1 rearsets (If I can find some at a decent price)

Comment

Working...
                  X