2nd gear problem, what is it??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd gear problem, what is it??

Anyone who has been around the XS11 for a while knows that the two most problematic areas are the pick-up coil wires and 2nd gear.
    What exactly (what symptems) is wrong with 2nd?

Riding home tonight, I was frustrated being stuck behind some shmuck who had nowhere to go and all night to get there.
    When I finally swung around him I was in 2nd at about 4000RPM.
    I hit it pretty hard, (but not too) and just before I shifted into 3rd it disengaged. It was very breif, as I already had my hand on the clutch and was just about to pull it. I actually thought for a second that I pulled the clutch before I meant to, but that wasn't the case.

The "2nd gear problem", is it a "popping-out" situation?
    If so, does it usually come-on gradually, or is it a sudden thing, where something actually breaks inside?

This bike has 56K miles and this is only the 2nd time that this has happened that I know of. I REALLY am not thrilled by the prospect of tearing into the bottom end if it's avoidable.

Thanks in advance for any input,
    Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

that sounds like a classic case of the dreaded 2nd gear problem
    http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
    78E main ride, since birth the "good"
    78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
    78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
    79F Parts
    80G Parts
    75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

Most often it is a "chattering and Stuttering" when you romp on it in second gear. It can be slow to onset, because it is a wear problem.

The Battle Cruiser was fine up to a point and then one day, I got on it pulling away from a light moderately hard and the bike shook so bad as I went through second that I fragged the Shift Pin retaining washer on the shift drum. It seemed fine after I put a new washer on it, but it got easier to make it shiver.

Slipping out on a regular basis could be a shift fork or alignment (shim or washer in wrong position in tranny) problem, but if you have never had the tranny apart, most likely you are seeing the beginning of the second gear problem.

Be gentle on it, but my advice is to search the threads and get after it as soon as you can. It's not as daunting as it seems and the longer you wait, the harder the job is.
      Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
      78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
      02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

Yeah.. sounds more like it went into a false neutral to me. 2nd gear is jumping in and out of gear really quickly... you'll think you're sitting on a machine gun!

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I second that emotion!

Hey NewMaac,

Mine actually started in 1st, when putting some throttle stress on it, would pop out of but then back into gear, so I started going easy on it, but just a few months later 2nd gear followed with similar symptoms....I also had estimated 50+k miles on it!

Eventually it will start to pop out more frequently, and you can get the ratchetting sound effect, but usually just the occasional pop at first! I worked on an XJ that had the 1st gear so bad that anything above idle would cause it to machine gun!

There are several tech tips in the repairs/tranny section from the MAIN FORUM PAGE that you will find very informative!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

You may find it daunting to think about having to go into the bottom end, but i agree that the second gear fix is needed......if you tackle it yourself you'll be ok just take it slow.....it is more of a tedious job rather then a hard one....but my suggestion make sure you print out the thread on the fix first and have it with you if you get stuck...if you are in the gearbox make sure you do fifth gear too so you dont have to go into the box again.......Cheers
            1982 XS1100R
            1982 XJ650
            1983 VT400
            1990 XVS Shadow
            1983 Z1100

-I just love the look on their faces when you leave them standing in the dust after they've lined you up on your XS.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.
              I will keep a close eye on it. It sounds like I will be learning more about the gears in the near future.
              Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

this is only the 2nd time that this has happened
                I've only got 29,900 on the G and have had it pop out of 2nd and 3rd on occasion. Think mine is just due to not shifting "firmly". (I hope)

mro

Comment

Working...
                X