No announcement yet.

screech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This link lists the part number for the tool. It is readily available from Yamaha. I need one too since my tool kit seperated itself from the Battle Cruiser last week.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ive+Fluid+tool
    Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
    78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
    02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

You can use a piece of coat hanger with the low and high marks etched on it. One for the middle and one for the final drive.

Originally posted by BLUEJEEPLAB
      This link lists the part number for the tool. It is readily available from Yamaha. I need one too since my tool kit seperated itself from the Battle Cruiser last week.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ive+Fluid+tool
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

wrong

I just went out for a test ride and MY Mistake ,I think it has something to do with the rear brakes . What could be causing that ?
        XJ1100K
        Avon rubber
        MikesXS black coils
        Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
        MikesXS front master
        Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
        Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
        Progressive fork springs
        CIBIE headlight reflector
        YICS Eliminator

Comment

rear brakes

After I got going ,when it finally made the noise, I could change it by jumping on the rear brake . Also sometimes if if put on the brake while going 30mph it would make the noise.
          The other day the shop decided to bleed my brakes and the pedal is really low and the brakes dont work too well .
          XJ1100K
          Avon rubber
          MikesXS black coils
          Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
          MikesXS front master
          Progressive fork springs
          YICS Eliminator

Comment

The back pads on the XJ are kind of funny shaped. The pad material is bevelled, and there's not a lot of material on part of them to begin with. A 14mm bolt on the backside of the caliper takes the whole caliper off. Just make sure when you put them back together... there's a little tab on the pads that has to fit back up in a slot on the caliper. I had a guy that changed my last tire not get them in that slot right... might check that.

As far as your brake pedal being down too far, you can take the pedal off and put it back on one notch higher?? I don't know who worked on your bike, but did they realize that on the XJ's, that back pedal operates the back brake and the front left brake? To bleed the whole system.. it should have taken a fair amount of brake fluid... maybe ran the res. dry or low? Sounds like a good place to start. One small air bubble will result in some pretty poor brakes.

There's also a tech tip for making a dipstick for your final and middle drives. You are trusting other people to do some pretty simple things to your bike (If you know how) that could really affect YOUR safety. I just don't trust most people that much. It's easy to learn these things. More satisfaction too, knowing YOU made it run (Or stop) like it does.

Tod
            Last edited by trbig; 05-29-2007, 08:33 PM.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

shop people

Mechanics have told me that the pads are ok . I'm not sure if the slack bleeding job is related to my NOISE or not . The brakes are different than they were last Friday when the shop owner thought he would do me a favour and bleed them . The pedal was better then . He did know about the linked brakes . They definately need to be bled again . He told me to hose all the brake fluid off the bike with water then took off. I pulled out anf couldnt stop and ended up in front of a car . So I'm not much for trusting people either .

I was thinking my noise was a vibration from the rear brake . If it is not a result of the exhaust repairs being half done .
              XJ1100K
              Avon rubber
              MikesXS black coils
              Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
              MikesXS front master
              Progressive fork springs
              YICS Eliminator

Comment

Say what? You take a bike to a shop, the mechanic bleeds the brakes, then tells you you need to hose off the brake fluid?? Time to find another shop/mechanic or start doing your own work.
                Ken Talbot

Comment

Do a search on brakes and the "spooge hole." If that tiny return hole gets blocked, the brakes build pressure and can lock-up, leaving you stranded. I was lucky enough to clear mine out on my xs11H model by bleeding fresh brake fluid to change out the old stuff.
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

You can look under there and see if those tabs are in the caliper slots like they're supposed to be. There's a pin on the back that the pads slide on, and there's a groove in the caliper on the front side that those tabs have to fit back in.

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I thought I might save some time to get on the road . Really it has caused me nothing but worries . I'm wondering if they did all the things I asked them (change all fluids ,etc) . I got back the bike from replacing fork seals with no air in the forks . I had to procure the seals in the first place . They said they couldnt get them .
                      XJ1100K
                      Avon rubber
                      MikesXS black coils
                      Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                      MikesXS front master
                      Progressive fork springs
                      YICS Eliminator

Comment

Definately time to start doing your own wrenching. This forum is the best manual available.

If you still want to use a mech, I'm sure some of our Brothers in the Great White North can recommend some one. The guys you're going to now sound like they should be fixing shopping carts, not bikes.
                        Papa Gino

78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"

Comment

You guys that need the dipstick, PM me. I've got a few.

Comment

Brakes

I found a spring around the slider pin at the rear of the caliper . It was rubbing on the disc and part of the spring was worn away .What does this spring do ? Can I cut it off ? Axel
                            XJ1100K
                            Avon rubber
                            MikesXS black coils
                            Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                            MikesXS front master
                            Progressive fork springs
                            YICS Eliminator

Comment

screech

It wasnt the spring . Still makes the noise . Buddy says new pads . But it makes the noise when i'm not braking .
                              XJ1100K
                              Avon rubber
                              MikesXS black coils
                              Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                              MikesXS front master
                              Progressive fork springs
                              YICS Eliminator

Comment

Could still be the pads, they are in contact slightly with the rotor, even when the brakes aren't on. Could also be a slightly sticky Caliper Piston not retracting all the way.

Raise the rear end of the bike and give the wheel a bunch of turns with the tranny in neutral. See if you can hear anything, even if it is a different pitch (you can't turn the wheel any where near the speed the tranny does, even at low speeds) Use a wooden stand or Bike Jack if you don't have a center stand.
                                Papa Gino

78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"

Comment

Working...
                                X