Electrical Problem i Think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Problem i Think?

i have asked this question about 50 times now but am narrowing it down so i will ask again. After riding the bike for 5-10 minutes, the bike gets really choppy when i give it gas, like it isnt getting any gas, however it is not a gas problem. there is no water in the gas and i have been through 5 tanks so far this year, fuel lines are brand new, and not kinked up, and the battery light is flashing, so i figure it is something electrical, that is going in and out. i have replaced trhe positive and negitive battery cables so far, (because it was the eaisiest thing i could think of to start with) and no change. and now it is doing the spuddering right off, not just after a few minutes, and when i let off of the gas the bike stalls. from a take off/stop light i have to work the clutch like you wouldent believe to take off with out stalling (embarassing). so i guess my question is what should i try/replace next to try and fix this. battery is brand new and i got the one with the hole for the battery sensopr so thats not it eaither.....? any ideas? thanks again. -Joe
    1982 XJ1100J

Sold:
    1974 RD200
    1975 xs500
    1985 Honda XR350

Joe,

First, replacing parts is not an economical way to fix your problem. Find the cause first.

Have you cleaned your ground connections? One on the engine block at the middle gear, One on the frame near the battery, and one (or two) on the regulator. Make sure they are clean and tight.

Have you tested the charging system? What is the battery voltage with the key off? What is the voltage at idle? At 4000 RPM?

Do all of your plugs have good spark?

Have you done anything to it recently to cause a change in operation?

Comment

When it is running, are all four headers hot? Do they all seem to be about the same temperature?
      Ken Talbot

Comment

plugs are all good, and brand new i will check grounds tonight.
        1982 XJ1100J

Sold:
        1974 RD200
        1975 xs500
        1985 Honda XR350

Comment

Hey Frog,

Do you have a multimeter? They can be gotten cheaply at Wallyworld, etc.!! Like Randy said, after cleaning the grounds, check your charging system. The XJ uses brushes, and they could be worn down, they are available from Partsnmore.

When the battery gets low, it can affect the way the TCI works, and the XJ's TCI is more computer intensive, controls the vacuum and cent. advance curves internally.

While running, and acting poorly, switch it over to PRIME to see if that helps....if it perks up...then it IS a fuel delivery problem. The XJ uses the octopus, they can become flaky.

Also like Ken said, be sure you're hitting on all 4 cylinders, test the pipes with spritzes of water, they should all sizzle, if one doesn't, that's why it has no power..running on 3 or less!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'm leaning to there being two cold headers, either 1-4 or 2-3. Guess what that might indicate?
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Bad high-speed muffler bearing?

Originally posted by Ken Talbot
              I'm leaning to there being two cold headers, either 1-4 or 2-3. Guess what that might indicate?
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Sid, Sid, Sid! He did say he was working on the exhaust system, didn't he?
                Ken Talbot

Comment

Just a quik Q? have you checked the pickup wires?.......the advance sounds as if it is retarded....problem started then got worse...just a thought...also make sure your advance is moving nice and smoothly and is not stuck....Cheers
                  1982 XS1100R
                  1982 XJ650
                  1983 VT400
                  1990 XVS Shadow
                  1983 Z1100

-I just love the look on their faces when you leave them standing in the dust after they've lined you up on your XS.

Comment

Working...
                  X