ballast resistor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ballast resistor?

i was looking at my bike today and found a white piece of somthing sitting on my engine. i picked it up and looked further under the carbs and found the top cover for my balast resistor. now i need a new one but they are no available anymore. what is or is there a good replacement ?
    79' XS1100SF

You can replace it with any automotive ballast resistor with good results. Any large auto parts store should have them on the floor display, maybe in the 'HELP' section. Of course, the connectors will be different so you'll have to splice it in.

Or, I'll mail you an OEM one. PM me your address. Can't mail it 'till the weekend, though.

Comment

I was talking to one of the techs I work with trying to come up with a replacement for the ceramic. He came up with grout, you know the stuff between the tiles in your bathroom. so last night I cleaned up my old resistor got rid of as much of the ceramic as I could and then tested the resistor again and it still tested good, so I mixed up some of the leftover grout I had and filled the lid and put the two halves together and some squeezed out of the seems, I cleaned it off and wrapped it tightly with a rubber band and knocked it gently on the work bench as to get the grout completely around the resistor. I pulled the cover off after about 10 min just to see and it was completely covered just like I thought. And this morning it was holding together quite nicely, I still covered the seams with JB weld (quick) and it still tests good. I don’t see why this won’t work. The ceramic is just there to pull heat away, I would think the grout would do the same. Well I guess I will see what happens.
      79' XS1100SF

Comment

it works

i have tested my grout filled resistor and as far as i can tell it works, it has good heat distrbution. i would say this is a good, cheap fix if your resistor cover falls off and the resistor is still good. hope this helps some other people
        79' XS1100SF

Comment

Working...
        X