Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking to buy XS1100 Special (or Honda CB1000)...long

ok,
    I am not a Biker per say. I have had 3 bikes in the past.

1st a Maxim 500.

2nd A Kawasaki KZ750

3rd a Honda Shadow 1100

The Shadow I loved, and only sold it because I was starting my own business.

I am pretty good with wrenching on my own, as long as I can get some direction.

ok, that is a little about me. Now business is better, I have a little money, and want another Bike. There is a guy and his father who have 2 for sale.

'81 XS1100 Special
    '83 Honda CB1000 Custom

I went to look at them today, rain forced me to stay in the garage.

The XS11 is in pretty good shape. It was not cold when I got there because the dad had to ride it there. They said it was a little cold blooded. It started while a little warm with about 1/4 turn on the throttle and ran pretty good. Brakes, clutch etc all seemed pretty good. The only thing that I noticed wrong was that there was some cracking in the rubber between the carbs and the engine. I dont know if this would be called a boot or what. not sever cracking but obvious that they were 26 yrs old, and prob need replaced. The bike has 21k on it. Story that I get is they have had it for 3 years and put on less than 4k miles. has had carbs gone through a couple times and finally replaced the tank. Had sat a couple fo different times for a number of years before these guys bought it. newer tires and new battery. Pretty nice bike.

The bad...it has a 4 into 1 exhaust that was LOUD. they said that they guy they got it from said the carbs were tuned for it. I am sure the bike is quicker, but they said it only gets 20-25 mpg. the other thing was a little bit of "chatter" from the top end. they said that has been there since they got the bike. valves have been done etc...and runs fine, just has that chatter.

I like the stance, the look etc of the bike...but 20-25 mpg on a bike is bad...makes me wonder.

The Honda is just as nice. needs a front fork seal, and that is about it. Has not had valves done etc recently. Has 18k miles. The look is nice, but the stance is a little taller than the XS11.

Guy wants 1900 on the XS11...2100 on the Honda.

I know this is the XS11 board, so I am sure everyone will say take the Yamaha, but I was wondering if there were specific things that I need to look for, and also if the whole MPG scares anyone.

I kind of lean to the Honda right now because I loved my Shadow, but the Yamaha looks a lot more like it than this Honda does. The Shadow was an 85...how will this stack up to that Bike?

Also that CB1000 was only made in '83...so a little more interesting I guess.

Just general thoughts etc would be appreciated. Thanks.
    '79 XS11 Special
    Semper Fi

I've ridden CB900's but not a CB1000, the 1000's pretty quick going on reports but I'd reckon still tame compared to the eleven, the CB1300 liquid cooled is XS11 territory for performance, bet the 83' 1000 motor could be tricked out to big H.P. though

Comment

No Place Like XS Home

As fer the XS...
      Carb boots are double walled and not unusual to see a set with cracks. New set run $80.00/$90.00. On my 80 standard they were cracked so filled cracks with RTV and then wrapped em in black electrical tape. From a few feet away look good

25 MPG sounds like bike is not tuned right (carbs)
      I have a hot rod XS with 4 into one as well as flat slide carbs, big bore kit as well as other engine mods. When I take it easy it gets 36 mpg. My 80G is stock, around town get around 35/36 and highway as much as 40 mpg.

Only CB I've had was 450, so I'm no help there.
      $1,800.00 for an XS? Don't know with out seeing it in person. I've got several but never bought one that was running.

For that kinda money I've got a 79' special that needs nothing but polish and another 79' special that I would not sell for less than $4,500.00 (will be posting some pics of that one).

The others cost me $100.00 to $300.00 or a few trades.

mro

Comment

I'm wondering if they are accurate about the 25 MPG ...
        What do the spark plugs look like??? Black running rich ??

On cold starting , it might be an orifice in the float bowls clogged.
        Its for the enrichener circuit . And it makes a big differance on cold starting ...

Cant say anything about the Honda , Buy like my Xs ...
        It very behaved , till you twist the throttle hard !!
        You would never know riding normal that there is a xs ammount of power ready to be unleashed ...

Good luck
        Bob
        1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
        1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

The yamaha is a shaft drive, not sure about the honda. The yamaha is a smooth bike with an electric motor like feel to the engine and drive train (my opinion), with a nice pronounced power band kicking in really hard around 6-7000 RPM.

The yamaha's only real shortcoming is the 2nd gear transmission issue. If you don't plan to hammer it you shouldn't have any problems.

For 1800 bucks you should get a bike that is in better than average condition IMHO.

I'm sure the honda is a real nice bike.

Of course with the XS, you get us here on this site, so that's a big + :-)

Good luck,

Dan
          Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

Comment

Kelly Blue Book value

$1,900 for the XS is too high.
            Retail from a used bike dealership is $1,450. Trade in value is $930.
            I wouldn't even think about it unless the price came down about a grand.
            Many more fine XS's to be had for a lot less.
            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

You can have my 80 xs1100G with 9,000 miles.........for $1,550

pics are in the pic section excellent original shape!!
              Visit my websites at
              www.arrowmotorsports.com

and www.victorylaneforum.com

Comment

but it would cost me another 1500 to come get it....hahaha

If I were closer we might be talking.
                '79 XS11 Special
                Semper Fi

Comment

My .02. The Honda is down on power and torque by virtue of being 100cc less. Honda has a "dual range" transmission. Kinda nice, but could be a real headache if sumthin goes wrong with it. $2100 seems on the high side for a bike that will need fork seals right outa the box. Custom and XS special have similar styling. Honda runnin a 4 gal fuel tank. Both are shaft drive.

Second gear issue on the XS is a relatively easy fix. You have the story on carb boots, no biggie. Exhaust might be able to be quieter. Center stand missing? Check the links to see what else to look out for. History and reputation of the XS11 is undeniable. Do a search on the Honda and see if you can come up with a website as indepth as this one. ALL the bases for the XS are covered here. $1900 way on the outside of the price range unless it is a turn-key, drive it home and ride it rig, which it does not sound like it is. But, if you want to ride a piece of motorcycle history, the XS11 is the rig. Ask around, CB1000, ah, ok bike, had that "dual gearbox" thing didn't they? XS1100, geez, those things were absolute land based rockets!!! "Knew a guy that had one, he blew everything in the weeds", or "had one of those, scared the hell outa me, had to sell it", or stuff like that.
                  When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

come to mention it, it is missing the center stand.

I would never have thought of that....what is bad about that?
                    '79 XS11 Special
                    Semper Fi

Comment

that does suck cause just 7 years ago...........I was living near the old market in downtown omaha. lived on south 9th street
                      Visit my websites at
                      www.arrowmotorsports.com

and www.victorylaneforum.com

Comment

My 5000th post, not fluff!

Hey there Compton,

Just so's you'll know the quality of the information you're getting here, Prometheus is a professional certified motorcycle mechanic with many years/decades of experience. Several of the others are also long term riders of this wonderful steed we cling to so XSively!

I've only owned Yamahas. I tried some Hondas back in the day, but was not impressed with their performance, their throttle response, looks, etc.!

The XS11 was the Hayabusa of it's era, and is still a very good contender for all around power, as well as reliability, durability!

Usual mileage is in the 30's +, so as was mentioned, probably not tuned as well as could be...a very loud exhaust can actually be less productive than a quieter one....the baffles may have been left out or rusted out? You can get aftermarket bolt on mufflers to replace it, as well as just baffles.

The missing centerstand(CS) means a little more trouble in performing maintenance, but they can be gotten from Ebay and members here fairly cheaply. You may not be able to leave it on though due to the style of 4-1 pipes, probably crossing directly under the CS area as well as possibly very close to the oil filter chamber, which could mean dropping the pipes to do oil/filter changes??

You saw the intake boots, cracks not a problem. Did it have the OEM airbox, or individual pod filters?? The filters may be dirty also causing the poor mileage??

I have a Special, and like it and the stying much more than the Standard, but it does have a smaller tank, so if you are planning on using it for long distance cruising, could be a little bothersome filling up every 100 miles or so.

As for the price, it does seem a bit much, but if it's essentially in very good clean condition, it may be worth it to you!? I paid $3500 for mine NEW, then 20 years later have put another $2500+ into it rebuilding the topend, etc.! I don't plan on ever selling it, so to me it's a good investment! YMMV?

Hope you make the "RIGHT" decision, and that we'll see you back here posting photos of your new ride, etc.!!!
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by mcompton1973
                          come to mention it, it is missing the center stand.

I would never have thought of that....what is bad about that?
                          Without a center stand, stuff like checking the oil, putting air in the tires, removing a wheel become a real chore. Don't give up on it just cause the center stand is missing. Work em down on the price. Center stands can be had pretty easy. Most likely had to come off to clear the non OEM exhaust, which means you most likely hafta drop the exhaust to get to the oil filter, and with no center stand, not a pretty job.
                          When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Well I like the bike, but I dont know if I can get him to drop the price enough to make it worth it.

I am not a huge fan of the loud pipes, so if I can find stock, or after market that is more like stock, then I might do that...assuming that I can get the bike at a good price.

I will keep you posted.
                            '79 XS11 Special
                            Semper Fi

Comment

well, I made an offer. we will see. I am not sure that he will go from the 1900 that he is asking to what I think is fair for the Bike. If he does, then I will be your new friends...lol
                              '79 XS11 Special
                              Semper Fi

Comment

Working...
                              X