Carbs just rebuilt, one is now leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbs just rebuilt, one is now leaking

I just had a guy rebuild all of my carbs, i got the bike back and the fuel lines and diaphram were now leaking. I took out the vaccum diaphram and added in a couple of inline filters, replaced all the line and rebuilt my petcocks. I just went to start it up (first time in a week and a half) and now carb #3 is leaking...it wasnt doing that right after the rebuild..any does that thing have to be pulled back apart now? thanks for the insight!
    1980 xs1100 SG

diaphram were now leaking???

Not sure what you mean.
    Leaking when running?
    Fuel dripping from air box?

Float could be stuck, or debris between float needle and seat.

For a stuck float have heard of tapping on float bowl with the handle of a screw driver which sometimes will "un-stick it, never has worked for me tho and have had to take the carbs off.

Did you test the petcocks? Small amout of fuel will leak with float bowl problem, tank can drain if both float and petcock leaking.

mro

Comment

Carbs must be pulled. Float needle in #3 isn't sealing to stop the fuel.
      Either it's worn and must be replaced(replace all four carb needles),
      Or a piece of crap came down the line from the tank (prior to the in-line filters)and is hold the valve open.
      Should pull the petcocks to see if the debris screens are still on the towers. Could also be a chunk of deteriorating fuel line blocking the needle valve.
      Most likely, worn float needles.
      I just had a guy rebuild all of my carbs
      See... this is what you get when you don't do it yourself.
      "I just had a guy..." Bah!
      Where's your sense of accomplishment?
      What better way to prove your manhood than being able to say...
      "I rebuilt my own carbs!"
      This is the American way.
      Where would this nation be if everyone had someone else do their work for them?
      I'll tell you where it'd be...(probably right where it is now, but don't get me started on that!)
      All the great men in this nation's history did their own work.
      "Hey Mr. Edison... how many people does it take to change a light bulb?
      Answer: "One... Me!" (sure, there was only one light bulb in existance at the time, but you get my point)

Like my neighbor, (a man who does things himself), deciding to chop down a tree. He didn't hire someone to do this for him, he just went ahead and did it.
      To be sure... waking me up by running a chainsaw at 7:00AM on Memorial Day means his death and the death of his loved ones..., but somewhere in all this, you get my point.(As will he, after I have my coffee)
      Pull your carbs, replace the float needles. Turn the carbs up-side-down with the bowls off, hook up a fuel supply and let them set a while to see if they leak before re-installing them.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

this is my first bike, never experienced carbs before (im 21, ive seen nothing but fuel injection)..anyways the guy i had rebuild them is semi-professional and i needed this done fast. to justify this though, i am an ASE certified mechanic and work on cars 24/7..and im working on a mechanical engineering degree...and i needed my bike running so i could tear my mustang apart because 13psi of boost blew the intake manifold gaskets to peices and im rideless....this is the first time ive had anyone work on anything of mine ever, (well i did have a guy put a new convertible top on my car, i dont care how much explanation i get im not going to even attempt that). thanks for the help though!
        1980 xs1100 SG

Comment

the vaccum diaphram was leaking, untill i eliminated it anyways..i DID rebuild the petcocks because they were leaking, dont leak a drop now.and the debris screens are still there and intact. I dont know about hitting the bowl with anything, if i knock that debris loose its probobly going to go somewhere else that i dont want it.
          1980 xs1100 SG

Comment

the rebuild kits had new float needles in them, so they surely just have some debris in them probobly from when i replaced all the lines (i think)
            Last edited by davins130; 05-28-2007, 10:30 AM.
            1980 xs1100 SG

Comment

Since you’re a tech, think you would be surprised how "easy" (relative term) fixing your problem might be.

Then agin I only work on cars if I'm broke
              (actually I'm not a bad wrench/trouble shooter, just hate to work on em)

Might check to see if there are any XSives who may live close to you. Most don't mind giving a hand if they can.

mro

Comment

im in columbus ohio if anyone wants to come help, haha
                1980 xs1100 SG

Comment

Working...
                X