please help....pilot screws?!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help....pilot screws?!?!?!

please help how far out should pilot screws have to be i had to turn them out like five times to get to idle. it doesnt pop through the carbs anymore but it idles is ths norm? also is there any way to figure out what year these carbs are they dont have bowl vents
    when in doubt...get a bigger hammer
    '78 XS11e, '79 XS11sf,'81 Mazda RX7, '83 XJ650lj Turbo, '95 Ford F150, '93 Chevy K2500, '04 Honda Pilot,
    '89 Arctic Cat Wildcat, '89 Arctic Cat El Tigre 530, '81 Arctic Cat Trailcat 340, '79 john deere trailfire 440,
    '78 Cadillac Seville
    Don't steal the government hates competition

Early carbs have exposed pilot screw.

Encountered similar problem to yours before finding this site.

Most likely carbs are out of sync and may also need cleaning/float adjustment.

While they can be gotten close by "bench"sync they wont be right. Vacuum sync with mercury sticks or vacuum gauge.

Generally pilot screws should be out from 1 1/4 to about 2 1/2 turns.

mro
    Last edited by mro; 05-28-2007, 08:52 AM.

Comment

also to add to it how are the carb kits on @ bike bandit im sure someone is going to say rebuild carbs. but i dont know what year they are from. also if thats the case what jet size to use? 4into1 megaphone unpacked exhaust, open filters/no filter box
      '78 XS11e, '79 XS11sf,'81 Mazda RX7, '83 XJ650lj Turbo, '95 Ford F150, '93 Chevy K2500, '04 Honda Pilot,
      '89 Arctic Cat Wildcat, '89 Arctic Cat El Tigre 530, '81 Arctic Cat Trailcat 340, '79 john deere trailfire 440,
      '78 Cadillac Seville

Comment

Jetting recommendations

Click me >>http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=&threadid=382

mro
        Very good info in the tech/maintenance sections

Comment

Do you have reasons to believe carbs are not original?

mro

Comment

i know their not original, the originals are scraped in 50 or so pieces, thanks to prev owner. these carbs came from a reputable seller on our forum and he could not remember the exact year of the donor bike
            '78 Cadillac Seville

Comment

Can you post a pic???

Have heard that there are a few carb sets (79/80) that look like the early carbs but have a few features of the latter.

No bowl vents point to 80+ carbs, pilot screw inside a tube like projection like wise. Latter carbs also use the rubber tipped float needle and have a screw which holds the float needle seat in place.

mro
              btw, the old parts may be usefull to someone on the site.
              Last edited by mro; 05-28-2007, 09:21 AM.

Comment

the old carbs are missing to many pieces no bowls, floats, or jets
                '78 Cadillac Seville

Comment

no bowls, floats, or jets

Carb bodies? now and then someone breaks a float post
                  Diapframs are still available but cost like $60.00+

mro
                  btw, I'm not cheep........just frugal and broke

btw2
                  80+ carbs seem to be just a tad easier to service/repair and the earlier ones really are not that dificult either.

You do have a manual...?
                  Last edited by mro; 05-28-2007, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Another more rare variation has been reported in the circa '80 carbs. Even though the newer style carbs...no "T" fitting for bowl vents, 4 small ports around inlet bell along with the larger curved one, they usually use the smaller main jets.

BUT....a few of these still have the tunnel between the main and pilot jet towers, and so the pilot jet is designed to use/share fuel with the main jets, and so the pilot jet tower needs to be capped off, and the main jets should be the larger 137.5 size, vs. the smaller 110-120 sizes!!! IF no tunnel, then the pilot jets gets its fuel directly from the bowl, and there should NOT be a cap placed over the pilot jet tower....even though you may get them as rubber plugs in any carb kit!

So...also need to verify which type of float needle seat you have to get the right parts in your carb kit.....flat washers for screw in needle seats, vs. rubber O-rings for press in needle seats...which can also leak!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

no i dont have a manual unfortunatly coming soon thought the bodies arent in the best shape but are there with everything north of the bowls plus some corrosion if wanted you are welcome to them my carbs on the bike dont have the "T" bowl vents and do not have capped pilot screws
                      '78 Cadillac Seville

Comment

if wanted you are welcome to them
                        If you can, take a picture of em and post them here >>http://www.xs11.com/forum/forumdispl...?s=&forumid=71
                        May make some XSive very happy

mro

Comment

I sent a pm to you
                          I bought a set of carbs to rebuild and they had the butterflys bent
                          , even had bent throttle shafts .
                          Was a past member of the forum that sold them to me
                          I could really use the parts ..
                          Thanks
                          Bob
                          1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
                          1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

Working...
                          X