Bad Pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Pipes

I've been fussing over an annoying buzz that showed up at about 5KRPM.
    I thought it was the heat shield below the left footpeg, so I tried to remove it. Bad plan.
    Broke the forward bolt off. Left it alone for a couple of months until yesterday. Figured I would remove the pipe and drill out the broken bolt. So, I broke the bottom one off also. The rear one came off ok.
    Anyway, what I found was the bracket for the rear bolt was broken at the weld. Also the pipe is cracked all the way around just in front of the muffler.
    I did some metal daubing on it and fixed it, but I doubt it will last long, because those pipes vibrate like a summbitch.
    Bummer, time for new pipes, because I can feel a leak on the right side at the same spot. I ain't taking that side apart.
    Last edited by oseaghdha; 05-27-2007, 03:36 PM.
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

Have repaired an exhaust that was rusted at the muff connection point.

Used a short piece of tubing 1/8 inch thick and inserted it so I had something to weld to.

mro
    btw, think it was 1 1/2 in OD and just fit

Comment

That's where they notoriously break...................easy fix with a tig........and you can cut off nuts for shield with a dremal and cut-off wheel and spot-weld new nuts on, re-paint with High-Temp silver from NAPA............won't even dis-color!
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
      X