seat ripping need ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seat ripping need ideas

MY seat is in great shape but has a small tear about 2 " long.can that be repaired at a Upholstery shop.And does anyone know how much.

blackdawg
    BLACKDAWG

I've been told my seat's in great shape, too, but mine's got a big crack in back.... Still, doesn't look too bad for being 47 years old.

Oh, I'm sorry... I misunderstood.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

hey i seen on ebay where people were selling just the leather. so i know you can find somewhere the replacement leather, i need to do the same, i had to restuff mine with quilt making batting just to get me by till i get a new seat. good luck
      trevonxs11

Comment

I bought a replacement cover several years ago fer about $50, but I can't recall the distributor who makes them. They are out there somewhere.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I've got a seat being re-done for my MNS project.
          PO had "fixed" it with duck tape.

Polyester upholstery thread and vinyl can be had at your local fabric store. Can patch it, but will show.

mro

Comment

Saddleskins

Hi Blackdawg,
            for US$95 these guys will fix you up with a replacement seat cover:-
            http://www.saddlemen.com/skinsfirst.html
            Or if you want to spend more than the bike cost you, Corbin will build you a seat that'll have you breathing heavy just by sitting on it.
            If you are not into that, go to a sewing supplies shop and buy a semi-circular upholstery needle and some black buttonhole twist and sew it up yourself.
            Fred Hill, S'toon.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I dug through some clothing that was going to be put out at a yard sale and found a black skirt from a woman's business suit that appeared to be pretty sturdy material. I cut out a piece big enought to go over the existing cover, streched it over the tabs, and have been riding on it literally every day for two years now...and it still looks great. Blends right in with the bike, no tears or wear spots, etc.
              Hi...my name is Mike, and I'm a lane-splitter.
              '80 XS1100SG (mine)
              '87 CMX450C Rebel (daughter's first bike)

Comment

I got a replacement cover from Old Bike Barn. http://www.oldbikebarn.com/
                78E ... Gone but not forgotten
                2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Blackdawg, any decent upholstery shop should be able to patch that up for you for the cost of about an hour's labour. Not sure what that would be, but it should be less than the cost of a new skin plus the labour to put it on. Does the rest of the skin appear to be in decent shape, i.e. not too much UV degradation or fading?
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

rip

Mine had about the same size rip in the seam...I used monofiliment line to stitch it up. Can hardly see it.

Keith
                    1980 XS1100SG

“You start the game with a full pot o’ luck and an empty pot o’ experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.”

Only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Comment

Travelcade

A company sells Travelcade seat covers, very easy to put on and mine is still like new after 7 yrs....cost $75. Canadian at the time, looks likean original cover....
                      Bruce
                      Bruce Doucette
                      Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Working...
                      X