Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! XJ1100 Spark but no start!!!!

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has experienced any similar problems like the following? My bike would not turn over so I changed the plugs, battery is ok, changed the pick-ups, coils etc... I then had my CDI box re-built. Put it in and WOW it started but I turned it off started to peice it back together (headlight, seat etc.....)and the darn thing would not turn over again. I bought a 2nd hand box and still no go. It is producing a spark but a very, very faint one. Any help is appreciated!!!!!

Am I wrong in my thinking.............if its producing a spark but a faint one then all the major electrical should be ok and maybe its a burnt wire or a wire touching metal somewhere that is shorting the bike but lets a small amount of current to pass?

Should I take on the task and try to re-wire the bike (have never done it)?

I need to ride(broke my ankle last season and was out for 1 ride only)!

Thanks for any help!!!!!

Are you saying it won't spin or it just doesn't fire? I believe you are saying it spins but doesn't fire...

If that's true, pull a plug or two after trying to start and see if the plugs are wet. If you aren't getting enough spark, they probably will be. You said you changed the pickup coils out? Did you make sure to put them in the correct positions? One of my bikes had the coils put in reverse positions and it took me some time to figure out why it *almost* wanted to start but didn't.

How charged is your battery? If it's got a weak charge, it might be enough to spin but not enough to produce enough juice to properly power the TCI unit.

Again, I'd suggest double checking the positions of both your pickup coils and the wiring to the ignition coils.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Hey Snow,

Thanks for the reply!

The bike turns over but just won't catch. The battery is good and charged and I'll double check the positions of the coils and the wiring to the box again! I hope that works.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
      X