valve cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve cover?

I just rebuilt my 79xs1100sf engine and it does run but it is leaking oil from three places. I am so mad because I took my time and cleaned all the mating surfaces perfectly. i think that some of the surfaces might be warped. Has anyone ever not used a gasket for the oil pan, valve cover, or the shifter selector cover? I was thinking of using some RTV to seal them up. Also is it possible to remove the valve cover without removing the engine?
    It looks like it will go, I just did not know if the cam gears would clear the cover or not. Also my oil pressure light is now on. I put my oil pressure gauge on it and the after starting it the pressure went to 100 for about 2 seconds then dropped to about 60 and slowly went up to about 70. I only ran it for about 10 seconds because of the oil leak. I can't find any info about oil pressure specs. I.E. hot, coil, idle, 2000 RPM, max pressure. I am guessing my oil pressure switch is bad. Does any know where I can find these specs.? thank you for any info you might have on any of the problems listed here.
    79' XS1100SF

I tried the plain RTV route on the valve cover once because I had no gasket handy. Did not work out very well. I suggest using gaskets.

Valve cover will come off without removing the engine. Take off the tank and you should be able to get the cover off after removing the 20 allen cap screws. you will also have to unhook the throttle cable and move it out of the way and the plug wires too. Coils should not be in the way but if they are, simple bolts hold them in.
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Also

You have to remove the ballast resistor and the valve cover will come off easy. You can take anything off/on the engine without removing it from the frame. The only thing you can't do in the frame is split the cases.
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
      Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system
      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Go with the gaskets at all those locations. Spray them with PAM to prevent sticking in case you have to open up the covers again. Toque down the valve cover evenly to manual specs. Same for the other covers of the engine.
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

i did tourque the evenly and to spec. i think it might be warped. i work for WV and we use this white goop to seal all our transmissions and oil pans so i am going to give that stuff a try but thank you for telling me about your experiances. i will let you know how it works out.
          79' XS1100SF

Comment

Check for warp-age by putting the covers in question on a very flat surface like the top of a good quality table saw or a piece of glass. Then check around the cover with feeler gauges.
            Rob
            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

oil press.

As for the oil pressure, this is from the spec. for my '80LG....Should apply to youre '79 also........

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...threadid=11307

IMO, Always use gaskets. I will apply RTV or YAMABOND to the removable part/cover, put gasket on & then sit on flat surface for a few minutes to let set up a little. Will leave mating surface clean and dry, helps to save the gasket if you are back in there, then if by chance it would tear and no gasket available-RTV the back side as well.
              Good Luck
              "Elvira"
              '80 XS1100LG

Comment

my valve cover was warped enough to leak after a new gasket was intalled . I pam'ed it it still was ruined after removal.

next v/c replacement was yamabonded on a new gasket ...

George fix on e-bay has gasket for a nice deal .
                I bought them for 20.00 from the dealer before I saw the ones on e-bay . says made in japan and they look good . have not used them yet..
                Good luck
                Bob
                That oil pressure sounds very good at 60lbs ...
                1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
                1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

I wouldn't think that these covers could be warped too bad that with all those bolts, it wouldn't seal. I think that if you started in the center, working outwards like you do the head bolts, it would take up any warpage and move it out.

Also... I and many others make their own gaskets. You can get a whole roll of gasket material from the auto parts store and make tons of them for really cheap. I just use a paper hole punch for the holes, but there are tools out there for that. I kind of enjoy it also... Just a thought for the future.

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but ya know on the right side of the engine we have those little half rubber moon seals on the cam covers. all of a sudden mine went from dirt catchers to oil leaks..can I just pop them out and put new ones in or do I have to take the cam covers not off or lossen them up a bit and slip the new seals in? Thinking about just getting some high temp RTV sealeant and putting over them,not a serious leak but something I can't let go on.
                    '80 XS1100 SG
                    Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

It would be better to go ahead and take the valve cover off, but you may be able to work with it just raised up... not certain. Those half-moons have a lip on the inside. Mine were leaking also, but last time, I pulled them out and cleaned everything up with carb cleaner, then a thin layer of Yamabond between them and the head. Hasn't leaked since.

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own