27MM nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 27MM nut

That 27MM clutch nut refuses to budge. I assume it comes off counter clockwise like most nuts, already broken one impact driver on it and smashed my thumb as well, few choice words after that......tried an 18 inch long power bar with my foot on the rear brake and still it held, tried heating it to possibly burn off loctite if there were any there its now incinerated!! My next step maybe an electric impact driver or a photon torpedo! Kripes I've removed a lot of bigger nuts at work on heavy equipment but never came up against a nut like this.....if I dont replace this clutch soon no Mexico rally....any ideas? Bruce
    Bruce Doucette
    Phone #1 902 827 3217

1. find another nut.

2. nut splitter
    Nubee

Comment

27 mm nut

Bruce, I feel for ya, been there a couple of years ago.

I ended up using a heavy cold chisel, & a 3# sledge.

Try to get a 45 degree angle with the chisel , & pray,

wack, pray, wack, etc., etc., etc.. It did finally come off.

Hmmm, before You do the 45, start with a 0 degree.

This is to get a good bite going on the nut. I think

I made My initial cut about 3/8'' deep. Then, add more

degrees and wack, it out.

Good luck, & Ill say a prayer to the scooter god for Ya !!!
      Andy B. North Coast, Ohio

Comment

Bruce,

5th gear engaged, a 2x4 between the spokes and stand on that power bar, it has to break loose.

Comment

lIKE IT!

I like your approach Randy! Thats the way I hadle tough stuff here at work.......remember 2 of us Guys standing on a 1 inch power bar with a 3ft. Xtension, years ago, trying to loosen a 32MM bolt, used welding gear in the end to cut the sucker off.

Chisel aint a bad idea either Mraaaaaaaaaaa and I will need those prayers tonight to be sure.

Cant buy a nutsplitter as theres a holiday here in Canada on Mon......but perhaps I will buy one after this "episode of idiocy" Nubee

All I have to say right now is thank God for this list and all the help and ideas it offers, how would I survive without it. Heck, how would we all get by without it.
          Bruce Doucette
          Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

stand on that power bar

Would worry about bending the shaft it's attached to.
            Surprised impact won't get it off, especially after heating it.

Last resort, I would be inclined to cutting it as deep as possible with a die grinder and finish it off with a chisel.

Good luck

Comment

Shaft

The shaft is hardened steel of some sort, it would'nt bend, it would sheer off.....worries me a bit. I have a spare nut here at work that I will take with me and a mini grinder as well......let you know how this turns out when I'm back on line Tuesday niteshift.
              Thanks again Guys for all the help.
              Bruce
              Bruce Doucette
              Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

it would'nt bend

Have heard that before...
                and I've bent a few (not on an XS tho)

3/4" socket attached to a 4' cheater to take off a nut on a hydraulic motor. Had helper stand on cheater while I wacked it with a 12 pound sledge. Got nut off, ruined shaft tho, only bent a little, shaft tapered from over 1 ½" inside motor down to 1 1/8" where nut was. ($180.00 shaft, $60.00 something seal kit, buck and a half nut)

mro

Comment

Working...
                X