electrical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical

I am new to this forum. I have a question concerning the electrical syst. on a xj1100. I was have a problem with my turn signal and thinking it might be the signal relay i was messing around the aux terminal and shorted out the whole sys. at the time I had the key on and turn signal flashing. Now I have no electric anywhere on the bike. Battery is good Starter sylinoid was ok till my brother inlaw and I broke it. All fuses are ok. The question is is there something in the wiring that when shorted it kills all power if so where and how do i fix? also does anybody know where i can pick up a starter sylinoid for 82 xj1100?

let me thank everyone for their help in this mater
    Last edited by mel harris; 05-19-2007, 06:53 PM.

Sounds like you need to talk to fellow Okie trbig. He had a very similiar problem with his XJ a few days ago.

Comment

you know, If you just get an XS, you wouldn't be having soo many electrical problems. That goes for you too Trbig. BTW: are you using glass fuses? if you are did you try and pull the ends off of them while doing an ohm check? THey may look good and in fact be intermittant or shot.
      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
      Acta Non Verba

Comment

didn't 'hear' anyone say anything about the main fuse, not sure where on the 'XJ' but on the 'XS' it on the left of bike next to the batt.

I'll bet that might just be it, replace even if it looks good
        1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
        "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
        My Photo Bucket

Comment

didn't 'hear' anyone say anything about the main fuse,
          First thing that came to mind when reading your post.
          Main fuse (30A) may not look like a fuse to you.
          Square rubber box like thing under seat opposite the fuse box.

Does not take too long, but good idea to just clean every electrical connector and ground you can find. Several in the head light bucket and may be a couple behind the fuse box like on the XSes. A few under seat and some on the rear fender. If a turn signal is not working then the other one on that side will not flash. Not unusall for the turn signal problem to be a "bad" ground.

mro
          btw, welcome XS land

Comment

Starter selinoid

22U-81940-00-00 STARTER SWITCH ASS'Y (XJ) same as

3H5-81940-00-00 STARTER SWITCH ASS'Y (XS standard)

If your sure it's bad and can't fnd one.....send me a PM, I should have a used one on the parts shelf.

mro

Comment

just to let everyone know we did find the problem there was a fifth fuse seperate from the original four we had found on the side. it is above the sylinoide and the four way flasher unit in a box looks like some kind of resistor but is not.

I would like too thank everyone for there help on this.

Comment

the sylinoide

Hmm...
                Must be a part unique to your XJ
                Could not find one.

mro
                glad you got it fixed.
                How about posting a pic of your ride???

Comment

Working...
                X