Crankcase vent = unhappy empty fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankcase vent = unhappy empty fitting

Ok i just returned home to my baby for one day. When i was home last, I rode it for two days after a quick oil change and grease zert hunt. Now I'm looking around more, i notice that i have a vent on the top of my crankcase with a 1" pipe angling out facing right on the bike. This pipe looks like it very much wants to be connected to something. where is my crankcase supposed to be vented to or is it a vacuum thing like on a car??

While I'm poking around my crankcase, does anyone have a good way of cleaning a pitch black sooty oil level window? My toothbrush dipped in seafoam didnt work. I dont think i have the right angle.
    Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

1979 XS1100 SF (Nickeled)
    1983 Porsche 944 (Dimed)(KIA: Rollover)

You're right, that pipe is just jonesin' to be connected to the airbox. The crankcase vent hose is 1/2 inch, and it gets routed up between #2 & 3 carbs to the large nipple on the front, top of the airbox, if it is still there. If it isn't then put a hose on it, route it up out of the way, and stick a filter in the end of the hose to keep the varmints out. What about the small vent right next to the large vent? Got a hose on it? It is the middle gear vent, and it gets routed to the top mount of the airbox, under the seat.

Comment

oil level window

cleane mine when have clutch out

mro

Comment

oh well that makes sense then. ive got quad K & N filter set up.. I'll find a filter for that one. Is there any benefits to having an airbox setup instead?

Thanks John,
        Kyle

About the oil level lens. Is it pretty much guaranteed that i kill that gasket if i crack open the case? cause i dont think it'll be really worth it just to clean it. I can makeshift dipstick it for long enough, i dont think it burns that much oil anyway.

Comment

you can reuse the gasket if it comes off in one piece. If it has any tears you can make another one
          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

Hey Livelifenow,

The glass window has an open screen metal holder around it, and so with some long Q-tips, even secured to longer sticks, you can get them down inside the basket and possibly get down inside there to get it clean enough to view the oil level.
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC

I tried using an old tooth brush and thought i felt like i was rubbing up on something.. that screen is good and clean now. Since i used seafoam, how long do you think i should leave that oil in to let it clean? should i empty it in a few miles or can i leave it in for the duration of the change without affecting my oil properties?

Kyle

Comment

Working...
              X