Swapping to Older Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping to Older Carbs

I have a 1980 Standard with broken float posts. The PO(crackhead) broke the posts when trying to remove the pins and didn't save these parts. He then found a spare set of carbs, from a 78. I am looking into using these carbs as I cannot afford "slingshot" carbs and I would like to get on the road again ASAP. I also need to rejet I believe, I am using the pod filters and would like to remove the baffels in my exhaust. Any advice is appreciated.
    I love to hate this bike, yet it's still in my garage.

You can use the older carbs with no problem, and you shouldn't have to re-jet. You will have to drill out the two small nipples on the top of the airbox, next to the large crankcase vent hose, and then you will need to run some 1/4 inch hose from the upper set of T fittings on the carbs to the small nipples that you have drilled out. They are for the bowl vents. I am running 78-79 carbs on both my 80 and 81 Specials.

Comment

If the '78 carbs are in better shape, use'm. There are some differences, but nothing serious.

You would have to deal with the jetting issue, regardless. I understand the "pod filter" motivation, but they really screw up a lot of things. If a person goes to pod filters because they don't like messing with the stock air box, they are fooling themselves (IMHO). The problems cause by the pods is more difficult to deal with than learning to handle the stock air box. It is not that bad, if you know what you are doing. The stock air box can be modified to flow as well as the pods and not cause nearly the problems.

I figured if a person can't learn how to remove the airbox, how are they going to figure out how to correct everything the pod filters cause. But that is just me! Sorry, did not mean to go there. Power to the air box!!!!!

The differences (from memory)

- idle speed adjustment location (no rea issue)
      - bowl vent hoses - the '78 has vented float bowls that connected to the air box. DON'T just plug them. Fuel metering depends on them.

pod filters - they need to be vented somewhere.
      Stock air box - You can either round up a '78/'79 air box or fabricate some something to connect the hoses to.
      DZ
      Vyger, 'F'
      "The Special", 'SF'
      '08 FJR1300

Comment

To tell you the gods honest truth, I think maybe I got in over my head on this basket case. I've had it for 4 months and put almost a grand into it and it stills doesn't run correctly. I think I may sell it and get something less troublesome and fuel efficient. Maybe a xs650 or 750.

Comment

If you have that much into it, should be close. Get some help. Perhaps there is an XS'er in your area that can help. Don't give up!

A 650 or 750 are bound to have similar issues. And let me tell you, the 1100 is king of the XSs.

As for parts, we all like to make a buck here and there, but most of us would prefer to see a running XS. Tells us what you need.
          DZ
          Vyger, 'F'
          "The Special", 'SF'
          '08 FJR1300

Comment

originally posted by fishinfool88
            had it for 4 months and put almost a grand into it and it stills doesn't run correctly
            $1K
            There are a bunch of XS11's on this site that are worth that and some a lot more...but to get one streetable (and safe) should be a lot less.

Before drilling your exhaust, get it running right, carbs synked and all. Then if you do the exhaust and it's not running right you can be pretty sure what's up. The 78 carbs are more tuneable than the 80's......so may not need to re-jet.

mro
            btw, ride an 80G allmost every day

Comment

Hey there FishinFool,

Welcome to the land of Xsives! You can go to the MEMBERS FORUM, and do a search for threads with Indiana, you'll find one that is for listing members, post your stats, and view who else is there, near you. Then, you could either shoot a PM to someone close, or post a request for "in person" assistance, describing your location....I see it in your profile, and I'm sure you'll get someone that can do a Drive by to get you on the right track to getting it running! Once you get this thing running, you'll be ever so glad you didn't DOWNGRADE to a 650 or 750!!!!

Now, aside from what has been said about the 78 carbs, you should know that the main jets are going to be much bigger/different than the 80's you have! This is because the Mains share the fuel supply with the pilot circuit, and the pilot jet tower should be capped off. The 80's "usually" don't have a sharing tunnel between the pilot and main tower(check yours) and so the mains are much smaller, because the pilot gets its fuel directly from the bowl, and they are not capped off! Just didn't want you putting in the wrong jets in your 78 carbs because the 80 called for the small mains!!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

If you want it running good, don't take out the baffles like you said you might.

Originally posted by fishinfool88
                To tell you the gods honest truth, I think maybe I got in over my head on this basket case. I've had it for 4 months and put almost a grand into it and it stills doesn't run correctly. I think I may sell it and get something less troublesome and fuel efficient. Maybe a xs650 or 750.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Well, I did go out and buy a 750. I could not pass up the offer. I knew a guy down the road had one because he commented on the 1100. He held out on selling until yesterday when I asked him. 700 dollars got me an 8000 mile garage queen in fantastic shape. This will keep me going while I tinker with the 11. All I know is that I've never had this much problem with any bike b4.

Comment

Denny.

You kept talking about the "Problems" pod filters cause. What are they? I did switch to them mainly to aid in installation and removal of the carbs, but I've had no ill effects whatsoever from them. I slapped a filter on the vent hose and tucked it down around the back of the motor (My personal choice since water runs DOWN a tube.... not up).
                    The XS's have a bit different design for the air box than the XJ's do. Loosening the box on the XJ does nothing to provide more room. Take your carbs in and out without moving your air box a few times and I think you'd convert also! lol.

I just hear of the negative things about pods, like you can't ride in the rain (Complete B/S) and the airflow isn't right.. etc. I could see how you can tune the box for racing and such, but for the average guy like me that just rides... I'll sacrifice 1 or 2 horsepower... if in fact you lose ANY... to be able to have my carbs in and out in about 10 minutes. I can't prove anything by hard numbers since I didn't dyno my bike before hand, but I got a good quality pod filter and it actually feels faster than it was. Anyone riding with me in the last rally can vouch that it runs pretty dang strong.

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

You kept talking about the "Problems" pod filters cause
                      I have run with both configurations. My personal opinion is that I have been able to get my bike to run stronger, better fuel range, and quieter with a modified air box (Better smoother air flow).

My comments on the pod filters is more about knowing and understanding that they are simply not a bolt in replacement. If a person is having trouble getting their XS/XJ to run, pod filters very rarely improve the situation.

Once a set of XS/XJ carbs are setup, they don't need to be removed. The only time I haved remove the carbs of my 'F' in 50K miles, was to paint them.

I think the airbox look nicer also.

Again, just one owners opinon.
                      DZ
                      Vyger, 'F'
                      "The Special", 'SF'
                      '08 FJR1300

Comment

Once a set of XS/XJ carbs are setup, they don't need to be removed.
                        You have much cleaner gas than we do then.. lol. As for the sound... I LOVE how the bike sounds with the pods. It's not loud, but it gets that growl you can really hear when it starts getting into that power.. To each his own I guess.

Tod
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own