Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used seat 79 Special

Hi Guys ,
    I know its an old seat , knew it needed recovery.
    BUT , It has a rust area at one of the front rubber mounts . So it pulled out easy . No too bad elsewhere, some heavy surface rust here and there ...
    I just dont want to complain to the business that sold it if this is normal .
    Paid $99.00 plus shipping ..
    Item was described as being in good condition but used ..

Thnks
    Bob
    1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
    1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

I would complain.

Just my $.02 but that doesn't look like normal wear and tear. That rust is on a pressure point that might break through.
    Bill

1980 XS 1100 Special
    1979 650 Special - sold (Stupid Me!)

Comment

Re: I would complain.

Originally posted by Radiation
      Just my $.02 but that doesn't look like normal wear and tear. That rust is on a pressure point that might break through.
      I didnt want to complain for nothing ,
      I'l let them know I'm not happy with this ...
      Not like it was a great price either ..Just did not want to be out of line ..
      Thanks

Bob
      1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

You could either try to build it back up somehow with fiberglass or (?), or, you definately could communicate your dissatisfaction to the seller and ask for a full refund. Good luck trying to get the postage back.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I would not call that "Good Condition".

It is repairable, if you have the tools. I would weld in new metal.
          DZ
          Vyger, 'F'
          "The Special", 'SF'
          '08 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by Dennyz
            I would not call that "Good Condition".

It is repairable, if you have the tools. I would weld in new metal.
            I have the tools , but for that kind of money it could of been a lot better ?? It will be tricky to make it look right . Is the foam glued
            to the pan?
            I offered to keep it for 50.00 refund or I want to return it .

I thinks its a good company , the guy was real fast at other e-mails I sent . Will see how they handle it ..
            Just want to be fair ...

Sometime I get critical and like the opinions from people who are into this (old bike) thing

I was pissed when I flipped it over and saw the damage , plus a reg bolt is replacing the t bolt. That will be a treat to deal with . will fix that right off if I keep this ...

Will let ya know how it comes out

Bob

Comment

The cover is not stock and easily replaced. The foam also removes easily.

It is hard to find perfect seat pans these days. They are out there and command the top dollar. What you have is not as bad as some I have seen (and used). If they will knock some $$, all the better.
              DZ
              Vyger, 'F'
              "The Special", 'SF'
              '08 FJR1300

Comment

Could you post the auction number? It's hard to judge without reading the auction description.
                thanks,
                Andy

Comment

Originally posted by acof911
                  Could you post the auction number? It's hard to judge without reading the auction description.
                  thanks,
                  Andy
                  This was not an auction .
                  here is the description quote per quote ...

"79 XS1100 seat
                  This seat is used, but it is in good condition . This part may fit other years or models.
                  Please check with your local dealer to see if this part will fit your motorcycle "

There was a photo in the sellers web site of a straight down top shot .

Thanks for the input everyone .
                  a second etc opinion is good as I have not been into bikes in a long time ...and its good to know if a deal was fair or not ...
                  Of cource no photo of the rot was shown in this case .
                  Its not terrible , but I was thinking recover and bolt on ...
                  Bob

Comment

Reply From Seller

Here is the response from the seller , very fair company ..

Hello Bob

I'm sorry that the pan is rusted. Those seat are very hard to find and a good un-fusted seat would sell for $250. I think our price for that seat is right on. If your not happy with the price please send it back and I'll be happy to give you a full refund.

Thank You
                    Mark

Hmmm ,
                    fix it ot send it back ??

Bob

Comment

send it back and buy this one.

eBay
                      DZ
                      Vyger, 'F'
                      "The Special", 'SF'
                      '08 FJR1300

Comment

Or this one
                        DZ
                        Vyger, 'F'
                        "The Special", 'SF'
                        '08 FJR1300

Comment

I would weld it.
                          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                          Acta Non Verba

Comment

Re: Reply From Seller

Originally posted by underdog57
                            Here is the response from the seller , very fair company ..

Hello Bob

I'm sorry that the pan is rusted. Those seat are very hard to find and a good un-fusted seat would sell for $250. I think our price for that seat is right on. If your not happy with the price please send it back and I'll be happy to give you a full refund.

Thank You
                            Mark

Hmmm ,
                            fix it ot send it back ??

Bob
                            $250 for a decent one? What kind of drug is he doing? 'Cause I want some! A good seat will only get about $100 if someone really wants it bad. That seat is crap, and I would feel guilty as hell selling it for that kind of money. It will cost about $85-90 for a new cover. I would say send it back.

Comment

One with an excellent pan went for 79 bucks on e-bay .Dang !!

Denny , those will not fit my bike , they are for standards .
                              Mine is a special ...

Think I'll weld it as will have 30.00 bucks into shipping lost to return it ..Its not that bad , just caught me by suprise ...

Thanks guys
                              Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X