Underseat electrical problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underseat electrical problem

I did a search but could not find this problem previously posted. If I did not do well enough or didn't notice the problem, please forgive me.

My XS only starts when the group of wires under the seat is lifted up with decent force. If that is not done, the engine does not turn over at all. This issue started last summer but the bike was stored at home with no rider for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated or one could make me and offer (perhaps $800 or so) and take it off my hands to make room in the garage since it was my father's bike and he passed on a while back with the bike stored decently since then. The manual may have been lost in a garage cleanup, so simple directions would be appreciated!

Do I have to host pics elsewhere to post them up here?

Second question is easy,>>>>>YES

First Question
    Before Tring to find a problem in the harness..........
    I'd start by just cleaning every electrical connector (including fuse holders).

mro
    Last edited by mro; 05-18-2007, 01:15 AM.

Comment

A lot of people will loosen and disconnect the negative terminal at the battery for storage. Check that out.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Agreed but I also recommend making a tool to release the terminals from the plugs so the female terminals can be crimped in a bit to tighten up the connection. Coating the terminals with dielectric grease will prevent you from having to do this again.

Geeser

Originally posted by mro
        Second question is easy,>>>>>YES

First Question
        Before Tring to find a problem in the harness..........
        I'd start by just cleaning every electrical connector (including fuse holders).

mro
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

OK, Geezer...we are anxiously awaiting the description on how to fashion that tool!

Originally posted by Geezer
          Agreed but I also recommend making a tool to release the terminals from the plugs so the female terminals can be crimped in a bit to tighten up the connection. Coating the terminals with dielectric grease will prevent you from having to do this again.

Geeser

Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I've had pretty good luck removing the spade lugs from connector blocks with a small jewellers screwdriver. You slide it in along the back side of the lug, from the open end, and it will depress the little retainer prong so the lug slips right out. I'll see later if I've got some photos of this in action.
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Too add to what Ken said

You can go to Radio Shack, or similiar store and buy a tool that will pop out the round terminals also.

Comment

Originally posted by skids
                OK, Geezer...we are anxiously awaiting the description on how to fashion that tool!
                Look into the end of one of the plugs and you will see a small rectangular notch next to each prong. Make a thin flat probe that will slide up in there to depress the catch on the terminal. Then the terminal should come right out.

I usually start with a cotter pin that's just a little to big. I cut off one leg of the pin and grind the other one down to the right size. If I'm in the mood to make it nicer, I epoxy up a handle on the loop end. It's a great tool and you can make one for under a quarter.

Geezer

Comment

under a quarter.

Thanks Geezer,
                  been cleaning (or attempting) inside them connectors with a "bobkin" (needle w/brass handle).

My kinda tool (under a quarter) for my kinda bike

mro

Comment

I was thinking about making some up for sale but they're so easy to make I think it would seem like a scam to some.

I'm over due to make a page for my site on cleaning connections. I hope to get around to it pretty soon. I will also show how to make and use the terminal release tool.

Geezer

Comment

like a scam

There are a lot a people that would rather just buy something they know will work, and some others that don't have the tools or want to spend the time.

One thing that for sure needs to be done on these old scoots is getting/keeping the electrial clean and in order.

NOT a scam if fair

mro
                      Last edited by mro; 05-19-2007, 09:09 AM.

Comment

I'll work on cleaning the connections. Hopefully this is all she needs!

Comment

Working...
                        X