No instrument lights, blinkers or horn and it wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No instrument lights, blinkers or horn and it wont start

This evening I drove my '79 XS1100 Special down to the gas station, put some gas in, and when I turned the ignition key to start the bike up nothing seemed to happen. Normally the instruments and indicator lights will turn on when I turn the key, but they wont. Also, when I press the ignition button nothing happens.

Once I got off the bike I did notice that when I turn the key the brake light DOES come on, but that's all!

This happened once before outside a Starbucks. Nothing I did seemed to make a difference so I called for a ride. About 20 minutes later I decided to give it another shot and as soon as I turned the key the lights came on and I was able to start it.

I'm guessing this is a problem with an electrical connection, but I don't have any idea where to start looking and I really need to get the bike started so I can get it back to the house.

In case it matters, I just replaced the reg/rec with one of Geezer's improved models.

I've been searching the forums for an old thread where someone had this problem, but haven't found it yet. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by gaines; 05-17-2007, 11:44 PM.
    Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

I don't know what the purpose is in preventing people from editing their own messages after 10 minutes, but I guess I have to post a reply instead of adding this to my original post.

I did find another poster with the same symptoms. He said his turned out to be corroded fuses. I'm going to have my wife drive me down to the gas station and use some WD40 on the fuses.

Thread: Electrical or Ignition Issue
    Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

until you clean em right

Just the tail light coming on may point to several "bad" connections.
      wd will not fix em.

OEM fuse holder....remove fuses, clean "holders" with a tooth brush size wire brush. If not available can scrape holders with something like a very small screw driver or pocket knfe.
      (hope wire connections to holders is good)

Still no go?
      There are about 5 white main plug connectors. Some behind head light and a few behind fuse holder. Sometimes you can get em to work at least temporarily by disconnect/reconnecting a few times.

mro
      btw, OEM fuse box works just fine if kept clean.

Comment

Thanks for the pointers. I got my tools together and went back to the gas station late last night only to find that it turned on and started on the first try. Rather than looking a gift horse in the mouth, I rode it straight home and waited until today to give it an overhaul. I used electrical cleaner (I guess it's just fancy alcohol) and a wire brush to clean the connections on as many plugs as I could get to and put dielectric grease on the connections. I haven't had the problem again, however I am now keeping the cleaner, grease and tools in my saddle bag in case it turns out I missed a connection and get stranded.

Cheers!

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

First thing I did on my brother's 'new' XS11 was to chop off the old, broken, corroded fuse holders and solder in new blade holders.

Old tech works great when old maintenance procedures and schedules are adheared to... but who would want to change, for instance, points every couple thousand miles?
          1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
          1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
          http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Working...
          X