Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical

Hi Fellas and Ladies,

I had an issue today maybe you can help with. My 79 XS11 Special shut down in the middle of an intersection and I had to remove the seat, jiggle the fuse holder and make sure all of the connections were OK. It finally gave me back a green neutral light and oil light and I was able to get it started again and home. Recently I removed and cleaned out the ignition switch because it was difficult to find the right place where the lights would come on in order to start. Did alot of jiggling. Never experienced what happened today. Any suggestions? Fuses were the first thing I checked and they were OK. Not much of an electrician. Thanks.
    Tom

must be that time of the month?

jiggle the fuse holder
    Hmm.........jigolo eh...

TC happens to have a very nice fuse box replacement. (cheep too)
    Currently I still use the OEM box on my XSes and have no problems after cleaning fuse holders......yet, but would replace OEM should any of the wire to box connections start to have problems.

mro

Comment

I removed and cleaned out the ignition switch
      You started to solve your problem... don't stop there. Take apart EVERY connection and clean it, from ignition switch to tail light, might even use dielectrit grease.
      79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
      79 SF parts bike.

Comment

There also is a main, 30 amp fuse under the left side cover. It handles all the power to the bike. I replaced mine with an in-line, blade type fuse holder, bout $3 for a HD inline holder.

Ditto on pullin ALL connections and cleaning. "Specially the ones in the headlight bucket. If you find any that look a little toasty, fix em.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Working...
        X